Engine Corrosion.....Can you help me figure this out???

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
While doing some routine maintenance I noticed this spot of what looks like salt water corrosion on the engine. I cleaned the corrosion off to get a better look. You can see the remnants of the corrosion in the pictures.

As the pictures show there is a small round indentation in the casting about the diameter of a pencil. This area seem to be soft /flaky when I probe it. There is no such indentation on the other side of the engine.

I am hoping someone smarter than me can look at these pictures and tell me what is going on here. I really hope it is not what I suspect.

Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_0248 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0248 (Large).JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0249 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0249 (Large).JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0247 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0247 (Large).JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 0

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Engine Corrosion.....Can you help me figure this out???

I would start the motor and run it to normal operating temperature, then check that spot for a possible pin-hole leak through the cylinder. If it's a pin-hole, then maybe you can wire brush it and clean it to the base metal and have it welded or try using that JB Weld epoxy filler(but I doubt that would be a permant repair). A saltwater motor like this may have other internal corrosion areas.
How do your sacrificial zinc anodes look? Good luck and let us know what you find!

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Captain,

Zincs look good. Engine has never been in salt water until last 2 years. I flush it every trip. Gonna try the JB fix.

robert graham

Admiral

Thanks Captain,

Zincs look good. Engine has never been in salt water until last 2 years. I flush it every trip. Gonna try the JB fix.

If the pin-hole is from the water jacket, then very little pressure there to blow out your repair. The key to possible success with JB Weld would be the preparation of the area to be repaired, so I'd remove some of those wires and components so you can get at it with a wire brush to clean it very well, then finish cleaning with some Acetone to remove any traces of oil, grease, old paint, etc. JB Weld comes in a "quick set-5 minute" version that might be better than the standard version. Either way, you'll need to let it cure 24 hours before running the motor to test the fix. Your water jacket may have had a pit or flaw in it from the factory foundry, and it's just now leaking through. hopefully your JB Weld fix works! good Luck!

robert graham

Admiral

One other item, when you get to that pin-hole, try to force some of the JB Weld into it with your fingertip to force it down into the pit, then put a good patch layer around it.

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks!! Will attempt repair in next few days.

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After removing all "soft" metal I ended up with a 1/3 inch hole in the water jacket. I further dressed the hole with a tapered dremel stone bit. I used my dremel to wire brush the surrounding area, and then I cleaned all with acetone.

I then applied a liberal dose of quick setting JB Weld. I have to say that the repair LOOKS real good! We will have to see how it performs, but that probably won't be until spring time.

Thanks to all for your help.

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Daggone. It's only taken me 3 years to close out this post! I had to replace the power head. The water jacket was corroded /thin in many places. It cost $3000 for a factory re-man with one year guarantee. Been running great ever since.

Case Closed!