Yamaha 250 drops to idle off plane without warning

narvco

Cadet
I have a 2003 Yamaha VX250TLRB that has recently started acting up. While on plane, the engine loses rpms, like a heat or oil alarm has caused it to go into safety mode. I know neither has gone off because there are no buzzer sounds and both oil level under the cowling and the engine temperature are fine. (I have encountered both these issues in the past,) The engine never dies and idles fine. If I idle or shut it down for a minute or so and re-accelerate and it runs normal. I believe it is electrical and will check all grounds. I have also read it could be a partially clogged VST filter, a faulty main relay or a faulty injector driver relay. I have recently replaced the low pressure fuel pumps.

The first time it seemed like it happened when I turned my bilge pump on while underway. Recently it happened when I was riding in rough water. If it were electrical, would the motor not shut down completely rather than dropping down to idle? If it were the VST filter, would I notice surging or other symptoms?

Thanks for your recommendations.
Art

narvco

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 250 drops to idle off plane without warning

Well no responses. Boat is in shop. Starting with electrical but will replace vst and fuel filters while there. If problem persists then will consider replacing fuel pump. Tourney season starting, need to get this taken care of. Will post once resolved. Art

SparkieBoat

Captain

my guess will be electrical...good luck...please post your results.

SparkieBoat

Captain

good ole VST chamber...was it the pump or just clogs?