2005 Yamaha Vmax 225 Oil problem

ARangler

Recruit
I have a 2005 yamaha vmax HPDI 225 and it is not drawing the oil from the main resevor up to the holding tank under the cowling I really haven't tryed to much yet to get it fix but wanted to see if I could get some ideas on where to start. the main tank is full of oil and the motor is using what is in the holding tank it just isn't pulling from the main tank to keep the little one full.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2005 Yamaha Vmax 225 Oil problem

Have you used the switch by the little oil tank to see if the external tank will pump oil to the little tank?

Are green lights glowing on your tach? Problems will often put up an amber light, or even worse a red light and failsafe engine mode.

You could have a float problem--one in the external tank and one in the internal tank--(Same floats.) The float in the external tank is to signal the engine when there's no oil in the tank--red light/fail safe mode. The float in the internal tank is to cut off the pump on the external tank when the little tank's full.

Try switching the float from the little tank to the external tank. See if it'll then pump. You could also hook up a multimeter to the leads and dip them up and down in a glass of oil to inspect resistance. If you don't have a float problem, you might need to replace the oil system electronic module.

The oil module is the only expense I've had for my 1985 115 V-4 engine in 26 years. My pump would overflow oil into the internal tank. The oil would go by overflow hose into the carbs--resulting in big smoke, rough running, and fouled plugs. It's run great since I put the new module on it.

Running right, you've got a great motor.

ARangler

Recruit

I didn't know that was what that switch is for but I will try that.. all indicators seem to be working as they should when the little tank get half empty, if I am running on plain it will shut me down and the buzzer will go off. and there are no lights on other then the normal back lighting. I will try the switch tonight and see what that does for me.. Thanks for the Help.

Check the remote oil tank has an inline oil filter between the tanks outlet and the oil transfer pump..