1988-89 suzuki 25 hp o/b

I just purchased an 88 or 89 25 hp suzuki...$ 200.00 the motor is running hot so I changed the thermostat for it was ejecting water from the p-hole. after changing the thermostat it would not eject water out the p-hole much and got too hot to touch in 2-3 minutes in a barrel of water (turned off immediatly). My next attempt is to replace the impeller (purchased the entire kit) On the port side of the motor there is a plate about 6"-8" long and about 4" wide with numerous bolts broken off flush with the plate, (there are about 12 bolts and 6 are broke) it does not blow air nor water from the gasket area where the bolts are broke off? what is behind this area?? questions at hand.
1. Should I attempt to remove the plate with the broken bolts?
2. If I do should I heat them with a small hand held torch or heat around the bolt where it goes into the motor?
3. The prop has a very slight wobble that is not making you able to feel when running, should I leave that the way it is until it blows the seal behind the prop?
4. It has a sticker on the side of the cowling by the gas line that reads 100:1 ratio, that seems pretty weak, the little that I have run this I have used a 50:1 will this hurt/affect the motor?

this is the first time I have posted on this site, hope I am clear enough on my questions, thanks in advance!

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988-89 suzuki 25 hp o/b

Welcome to the forum, I can only comment on your "hot motor" issue. So you replaced the T-stat and it's not pissin water and getting hot? Have you tried to clean out the water passages yet? I had the same problems with a smaller Yamaha and what happen was that all the water passages were clogged with salt-water build-up since the PO never flushed. It took some time to clean out the passages but the motor finally had a steady, strong ****-stream and no hot motorhead. When you replaced the t-stat was there alot of salt-build up in that area? I hope this helps with your hot motor issue. Gd. luck

thanks, should i pull the t-stat out again and try to blow water/air through the motor when i am replacing the impeller?
Does anyone know what the plate on the port side of the motor is? I would hate to attempt to get the broken bolts out if it is not necessary.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's how i unclogged my yamaha, remove t-stat flush or soak with vinagar&water mix and then blow compressed air. After doing this several times the motor spit out some salt-crud and was peeing pretty strong. The vinagar&water mix i used was suggested by a friend and i don't think it would hurt the motor and was cheap to use instead of the overpriced salt-away products they sell in the marine stores.

well I changed the impeller and the @#$% motor is still running hot, on the two exhaust ports the water was flowing really good out the starboard side but nothing from the port hole??? could it be where the broken bolts are is restricting the water flow and making the engine hot???
Should there be water pouring out of the starboard side of the exhaust, when I was changing the impeller I put a air hose in the two exhaust holes, the ports side sounded clear and the starboard appeared to be clogged...but when I put it all back together water POURED out the starboard side of the exhaust..I am lost!! I started to take the remainding bolts from the mystery plate (to me) and all the bolt heads have broke off except one that is stripped out..I guesss I will get the needle nose vise grips to get the remainding bolt..any suggestion on prying the cover plate off without breaking it???