Batery won't charge on my Yamaha 60 2 stroke!!

Lightning04

Recruit
I have an outboard Yamaha 60 2 stroke that runs great but now I have a problem with the charging system and I can't figure it out. I am a fairly good mechanic in several types of engines but am very limited with working on marine engines. I realize the Yamaha 60 uses a stator to charge the battery and has some type of regulator to aid in doing so. I know the stator is under the flywheel but I don't know where the regulator type device is located and what color wires do I need to look for in order to test the system:confused:. I have searched the internet for free diagrams but have been unsuccessful. I would really appreciate any information that could help me locate the regulator and on how to determine if I have a regulator or a stator gone bad for it can't be the battery for it is new. Any help would be highly appreciated.:confused:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Batery won't charge on my Yamaha 60 2 stroke!!

what is the battery voltage taken at the battery posts while motor is running and not running?
That should tell you if it is charging to proper voltage.

You should look at a parts break down to find the individual parts and locations.

A Yamaha service manual will tell you the way to test the lighting coil and the regulator along with what equipment is needed for the tests.

I take it you do not own the service manual or the peak reading volt meter to do the testing. If you plan on working on this motor yourself then I recommend you pick up the manual and read.

vrodrig

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Batery won't charge on my Yamaha 60 2 stroke!!

Hey lightning04 welcome to the fourm like me I am new to this fourm and I am also a seasoned Automotive Tech. ASE Certified in all Eight Areas, Master Tech. If you are familiar with OHMs law you can do all these checks but as Yam said before, a manual is helpfull.

Listen I had the same problem with my Evenrude 48, I suspected a stater and rectifier (regulater) there is a test that you can do but you need the book. If you have a rectifier, I realize you r working on a yamaha but look for an object. No better yet go to boatsdotnet (**********) and look up your engine model click on it and search the engine components specific to charging/stater/flywheel or somthing like that, it should be somewhere in that area, this will help you id that system or component.

I would also consider doing a voltage/charging test at the battery with a voltmeter conected to battery. Check voltage at idle and at a higher rpm sometimes you don't get a charging conditon unless you r over a certain rpm. This is true for certain size engines such as mine (Evenrude 48 SPL)
after that you might want to perform a voltage drop test starting at the starter and working back to the battery. This will eliminate any bad connections or wires. You should not have more than 3 milivolts drop through out the system. Do these test before you start spending money on parts u don't need, they can be expensive.

Again the book should tell you what wires to check on the rectifier and stator and tell you what the ohms should be seen on these parts. Another thing that I read is make sure you have a good battey and it is not internally shorted this can also cause a rectifier to go out and never disconnect the battery when the engine is running this can fry rectifier.

I hope this might have helpfull for you, good luck and hope you have your boat out in the water soon.