1989 Yamaha 15hp leaking gas

Mstaton

Recruit
The motor has been running great and has been starting In no time. I recently filled up new gas running it 50:1. After the first few runs the motor started doing something I have never seen it do. When trying to start it (manually) it appears that gas is leaking out near the prop and dripping down the skeg. This doesn't seem normal to me. I know that if it is running rich that some of the oil won't burn up completely and drip, but this is excessive. And I don't believe it's just oil, there is gas in it as well. It looks like it is coming out from the prop housing where it goes into the lower unit, then running down the skeg. Any ideas?? Thanks for the help.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 1989 Yamaha 15hp leaking gas

Your carb float needle valve may be bad causing a rich condition, or your fuel pump diaphragm may be bad causing raw gas to get sucked into motor causing rich condition, or your choke or enrichening device may be malfunctioning causing a rich condition. Easy to check the fuel pump first, then check carbs for float chamber over-filling. Good Luck!:)