1998 115 2 stroke Yamaha - oil pump at remote tank does not shut off AND no smoke!

scottfromoz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

Upgraded from my trusty 92/93 model 115 V4 Yammy with oil injection to a 1998/99 115 Yammy. The engine was professionally fitted using the original remote oil tank, gauges and control box and control wiring. Where my old motor would, on ignition on, cause the remote tank pump to operate until the engine oil tank was full, couple of seconds or a minute or so, and then shut off, now the oil pump keeps pumping and will not stop when the ignition is on. The under cowl tank is 3/4's full and not getting fuller...

I wondered if there might be some air, so I bled it by having the motor is the running position and cracking the oil bleed screw at the top of the oil pump on the engine and backing off 3-4 turns (per the manual for my 92/93 motor) and I noticed that for half a minute it had water globules as well as oil coming out..then pure oil. There is no water or foreign stuff visible in the under cowl oil tank trap.

Take the cap of the under cowl tank and the buzzer goes off and put it back on and the dash gauge shows green triangle, so full oil.

I started it on the muffs and there was ZERO smoke. Shut it down after a minute at idle. While the oil injected yammies are light on smoke when warm, even running Optimax synthetic that I run, they still smoke when cold heaps...so my view is that it must nnot be injecting oil. But I dont know whether the 2 problems are connected and what to do about either problem....any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

scottfromoz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1998 115 2 stroke Yamaha - oil pump at remote tank does not shut off AND no smok

I just started her cold again - she smoked a little for the first 10 seconds and the nothing noticeable - bit of wind around though. When she smoked I could smell the usual 2 stroke smell...perhaps she is just that bit better tuned than the old motor - at 200:1 at idle and using very good quality oil it wont smoke much anyway I guess if well tuned.

Still dont know about the continuous pump action from the boat tank though...

Cheers

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 115 2 stroke Yamaha - oil pump at remote tank does not shut off AND no smok

I would be running premix until I made sure it was injecting oil as it should.
Drain the fuel out of the system and make sure the premix is into the motor as you do not want to hurt it.

The manual should give the procedure for verifying oil pump flow and the spec( cc per minute at a RPM).

If you were getting water and oil you need to flush all lines and make sure check valves function properly.

If the remote tank pump will not shut off but the tank on motor is not over filling, then sounds like it is not pumping anything, maybe the in line filter is plugged.

This thing does not seem to have been professionally fitted if it is not functioning properly, they should have flushed and bled the system and made sure it was all working properly before they gave it back to you.

scottfromoz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks fellas. The remote tank oil pump, line and filter were all blocked with gel. Will clean it all out with petrol. Will have crank drive pump and header tank and lines all drained, cleaned and rebled. Cheers

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

This type of stuff needs to be done from time to time(drain and clean tank and lines) as preventative maintanance to insure the motor oil system is functioning properly and it is a good time to test the alarm system along with the rest of the float switches.

Was this the tank you had in the boat for the other motor or the one that came with the 98?
Sounds like you were fixing to have problems even with the old motor if it was the original. hope you did not hurt the 98

scottfromoz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks mate. The shop changed the remote tank but the pump, filter and lines were original ie mine from the old setup. I am not worried about the 98. It was ran at idle only with plenty of oil in the header tank, the 4 oil lines to the Reid valves full and smokey on start up. At 200:1 they are pretty lean on the oil at idle so I'm not worried about it. Cheers

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You have a couple of possible issues. You have floats in the external oil tank and in the engine oil tank that need to be checked. If the float on the engine tank doesn't cut off the external tank oil pump, oil will overflow thru a tube into the carb. base and fill your cylinders with oil (major smoking); the plugs will foul out. Test that the floats are working properly--checking the ohms on the leads while you dip the floats up and down in oil.

Temporarily, you can pull the float out of the small oil tank, manually fill the tank and replace the float. But, you'd need to unplug the electrical lead on the external tank. Your engine will run, but the light on the tach will show yellow. In that situation, you'd need to watch the tank carefully to make sure enough oil is in it. When the oil level gets very low, the engine will go into fail save mode--run barely over an idle.

I had the same situation. After going through the oil system completely, including replacing the rubber membranes in the oil pump, I bit the bullet and ordered a new oil control module located next to the small oil pump. My problem was solved--after I'd been jacking around with the engine for 2 years.

Oil injections on the older Yamaha's are completely mechanical--other than the electrics that control the pumps. These engines have the reputation of being just about bullet proof. My 115 engine is an 1985 model, and it still runs great in spite of never being winterized. I just clean the carbs every 5 years or so, or when it stumbles.

scottfromoz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks mate - its all fixed now. Top tank and mechanical pump cleaned out along with all lines. Remote is all clean too.

Float switches working properly and not overfilling the top tank. Runs beautifully and smokes just the right amount at idle. I think it did before but I had started it in the wind and didnt see it...

Cheers