2001 2 stroke Yamaha wont get my 14' lund on plane

Islander99

Recruit
I have a Lund SV14 with a 2 Stroke 20hp Yamaha and I cannot get the thing to plane. I can get really close but not there. I bought the boat and motor as a package used and immediately changed the spark plugs, leg oil, fuel line (really soft), fuel tank, and fuel filter. The motor will idle up fine but with 2 people in the boat doesn't seem to rev all the way up. My gps is showing 13 mph and it is making for some seriously long runs on the lake to get to the fishing hole. Any quick and dirty suggestions or am I heading for a mechanic? Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 2 stroke Yamaha wont get my 14' lund on plane

Do a cyl drop test on it to see if you have a dead cyl.

Islander99

Recruit

Thanks so much for the reply.
Sorry, been on the water my entire life but you'll have to refresh my memory as to a cyl drop test..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you have it running and the prob occurs, pull one plug wire off at a time with an insulated pliers and see if you get an equal drop in rpm. No drop in rpm means a dead cyl. Compression, spark or fuel.

fencerforhire

Recruit

The first thing I'd check is the prop. Do a WOT test and adjust the pitch accordingly. The lower the pitch the higher the RPM'S. I bought a 23' Cobia w/a with a F225 and spent $600 bucks to have
a mechanic find out the engine was mis-propped for that particular boat. Thought it was the fuel, wrong again. The seller said it was the original package he bought new...no wonder he sold it. He said
he thought the motor was a bit small for the boat..The boat cruises 28-30 mph @4200...nice

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sell the 20hp and get a 25-35hp motor, you will be up on plane no doubt. I have a S-14 older Lund and the boat is heavy(240lb.) so if your almost to plane a 25hp should get you over the hump. Going to a mechanic will be costly prob. more than a upgrade. BTW i run a 2005 Yamaha 25hp 4-stroke on my lund and it planes easy and i clock out about 22-25mph with 1-2 person and gear. Gd. Luck

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sell the 20hp and get a 25-35hp motor, you will be up on plane no doubt. I have a S-14 older Lund and the boat is heavy(240lb.) so if your almost to plane a 25hp should get you over the hump. Going to a mechanic will be costly prob. more than a upgrade. BTW i run a 2005 Yamaha 25hp 4-stroke on my lund and it planes easy and i clock out about 22-25mph with 1-2 person and gear. Gd. Luck

He does NOT need a bigger motor. He needs to find out what's wrong with the one he has. A friend of mine has an S-15 Deluxe powered by a 15 HP Johnson and it planes quickly, runs great with two big dudes (he and I) aboard. Prop is very likely not an issue either. Just make sure its running on all cylinders.

robert graham

Admiral

Does motor have tilt and trim?...if not you might adjust your trim pin setting on the motor bracket by one hole at a time to shoot for the best planing performance.