2005 yamaha f60 4 stroke carbon ?

diditagain

Cadet
i bought this motor with 140hrs on it. i run marine stabil and yamaha ring free and run wot from spot to spot, about 30mph by gps. i run in salt water so i imediatly flush when i get home about 10 miles from the ramp. i use 2 hoses, 1 to the muffs and 1 to the screw on fitting. when i start the motor it blows a black powder (carbon?) out the prop, sometimes more than others but always a little. is this normal or could there be a problem? i don't know if the previos owner used ring free but i've always used it and i'd guess i've put about 60 hours on since i've owned it. thanks for any help you can give me.

Re: 2005 yamaha f60 4 stroke carbon ?

I ran into this problem before with the National Park Service in out in Vegas. They were concerned because they were naturally the Park Service. They never experience any runability problems but they wanted it "fixed". They did a lot of idling though. Long story short after a lot of troubleshooting with Yamaha Tech Service and Yamaha Internal Engine Cleaner (makes ring free look like Evian) still persisted. My best guess was the dry climate and slow heat dissapation of the exhaust components allowing a dry powder build up on the exhaust tuner tube and being blown off after start up. Are you in a less than humid environment?

diditagain

Cadet
Re: 2005 yamaha f60 4 stroke carbon ?

i'm actually in northwest florida and it's not unusual for humidity to be 90% and above all summer. i pull the plugs often just to have a look and they are always clean and dry. i've heard about water in oil from trolling so i try not to run low rpm for very long and always run wot back to the ramp to make sure i get the engine temp up for a while. my oil is always normal and the motor runs fine. maybe i worry too much but i just wanted to make sure i wasn't hurting anything. i don't notice it in the water at the ramp but i probably wouldn't see it anyway, it's just on top of the puddle when i first start in on the muffs. thanks for your reply.