2003 Suzuki DF70 oil drain bolt Question?

steveinsene

Cadet
The drain screw or bolt on my outboard is fine but the female threads on the actual oil drain hole on the lower unit are stripped on the outermost threads. They strip easier than the bolt itself because they are aluminum as compared to the steel bolt. There are still plenty of good thread inside the drain hole as it extends in probably an inch or more but the drain bolt they use is short and won't reach those good threads so I was hoping someone might know what size this bolt is and the thread type so I could just buy a longer bolt to reach the good threads. Otherwise I'm going to have to have it retapped I suppose for a slightly larger bolt (really don't want to retap and have aluminum shavings fall into oil reservoir and do not want to have to take the whole motor apart to keep shavings out of the reservoir) Hope this all makes sense and somebody may have so advice. Thanks

Steve

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2003 Suzuki DF70 oil drain bolt Question?

Maybe just take the drain screw to Ace Hardware and try to match it up with a slightly longer screw or bolt to use as a new drain screw? Maybe a nylon or plastic screw with an O-ring would be something to consider? As long as it stays in there and keeps the oil from leaking out. Good Luck!

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 2003 Suzuki DF70 oil drain bolt Question?

Dealer has longer screw for this, If dealer ever changed oil should have changed screw.