Best Carb cleaner???

bell47

Cadet
What have ya'll had the best luck with for a liquid carb cleaner? Spray type? Soak type? Favorite brands? Thanks.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Best Carb cleaner???

I use the Walmart brand Spray Carb Cleaner,$1.97/can, pretty hard to beat. For the soaking method I'd use the Berryman's B-12 in the gallon can with the parts basket. I've heard that some folks use ultrasonic "jewelry type" cleaning baths with good success. For plugged jets a piece of fine wire inserted into the jets, followed by solvent cleaning is good. Good Luck!:)

whistler66

Seaman

I looked and can't find an old motorcycle carb book from a few years ago. It was very specific in not using wire to probe any orifices in the Carbs. Wish I could find the book but the reasoning to the best of my recall was scratching the inside of the jets or even somewhat enlarging them and thus the fuel flow. Capt.Graham I have notice several on this and other forums who use a piece of wire in the jets. I'm not trying to start an argument but jets are brass and they are much softer than a piece of steel wire. They are very easily damaged and that is why they are included in most rebuild kits. Could this be a problem? Thanks!

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like using seafoam for large jobs and whatever generic brand is easiest to get for small stuff. I normally use the bristles from an old toothbrush or some fishing line to clean out jets on carbs. If it has a very stubborn clog that won't budge with the plastic stuff that's when I get the steel bristles out (copper wire works too if you've got some that's small enough.).

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I looked and can't find an old motorcycle carb book from a few years ago. It was very specific in not using wire to probe any orifices in the Carbs. Wish I could find the book but the reasoning to the best of my recall was scratching the inside of the jets or even somewhat enlarging them and thus the fuel flow. Capt.Graham I have notice several on this and other forums who use a piece of wire in the jets. I'm not trying to start an argument but jets are brass and they are much softer than a piece of steel wire. They are very easily damaged and that is why they are included in most rebuild kits. Could this be a problem? Thanks!

You are correct in that a piece of copper wire would be a better choice if using wire for clearing jets, but they are not included with any kits I have seen and would need to be ordered separately if needed

I believe Rodbolt said in the past that he used combustion chamber cleaner for soaking the carbs and then a spray cleaner to flush passages and jets out and he is a Yamaha Master Tech