1985 Suzuki 85 HP Fuel problem

jbowden3067

Cadet
Had the carbs cleaned and reset. Rebuilt fuel pump. When the bulb is pumped full, runs ok. As fuel goes out of the bulb engine acts like it is starved and begins cutting out even backfiring at one point then shuts off. I pump the bulb back up. starts runs till the fuel goes down. If I pump the bulb will continue to run. Would welcome suggestions. Thanks in advance

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 Suzuki 85 HP Fuel problem

you have a air leak some where in the line (line meaning some where from the fuel tank to the carbs. mine did the same thing, check where the fuel line attaches to the fuel tank, the connection going in and comming out of your water/fuel seperator and the 2 extra ports on it, connection on both sides of your priming ball, both sides of your inline fuel filter, going in to the fuel pump, make sure the gasket on the fuel pump is good and no leaks, then follow the fuel line's to each carb. air is getting in some where and you are losing prime, the engine will pull fuel as needed if it is sealed. on mine i replaced all of those little clips that hold the fuel line on to the barb of the fuel pump and carbs with the proper size SS hose clamps, much better seal! good luck

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

***after thought****- most of the time it is a bad prime ball. start simple first, replace the ball with a good quality one and see if that fixes it. higher chance of it being a bad ball than any thing else.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Had the carbs cleaned and reset. Rebuilt fuel pump. When the bulb is pumped full, runs ok. As fuel goes out of the bulb engine acts like it is starved and begins cutting out even backfiring at one point then shuts off. I pump the bulb back up. starts runs till the fuel goes down. If I pump the bulb will continue to run. Would welcome suggestions. Thanks in advance

Sounds like your fuel pump rebuild did not get done properly or like he said you are sucking air between the primer and the pump.
If you pump the primer bulb up tight you should be able to see a leak at any place you are sucking air.

There are check valves in the pump along with the diaphragm that need to be checked out, and make sure the gasket on the pulse port is OK

Checking fuel pressure/vacuum with a gauge will help point you in the right direction. Look in the frequently ask question section on the forum for a good thread on testing fuel system