2002 Yamaha 225 OX66 oil use

Douge62

Cadet
Hi,
I have a 2002 Yamaha 225 OX66 that burns a ton of oil and even fouls the plugs (all black) I have heard there is an O-Ring that wears out and is a easy fix.. Can this be done myself or do I need to take it to a Dealer? I have changed the filter in the VST tank that was pretty easy though?
Thanks Doug

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Yamaha 225 OX66 oil use

i do not know about the o ring , however the linkage may be out of adjustment, you can premix a gallon of gas, hook up to engine, disconnect oil line and measure amount of oil dispenced to seperate container and determine amount of fuel used, therefore figure out ratio, of ounces to gallons, major p.i. a but one way to do it

Douge62

Cadet

Thanks Erine,
Do you do that at Idle or at speeds??

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Check your service manual,
I believe it gives a RPM and CC of oil in a time period

Make sure you have the mixed fuel all the way into the motor before disconnecting the oil line to measure otherwise you will have some major problems with no lubrication.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, to adjust the oil pump linkage...disconnect the bottom two throttle links and close the throttle plates FULLY...there is an ajustment at a white piece on pump that allows you to adjust the oil pump's linkage against the stop.....the gap should be about .005 to .008 inches....that's LESS than a hundredth of an inch...feeler guage time....then test and see....if this doesn't work the shaft seals/oring may have to be replaced, you will have to pull the pump to do this but isn't too bad.