Yamaha Starter

cub48

Seaman
Has anyone had problems with the starter on their 2007 200 hpdi Letters on the end may be wrong. The one on this boat has been replaced 2 times and is out now. Batteries are good and charged has no voltage drop on pos cable. The bendix goes in the flywheel and turns just a little, about one tooth. Cub48

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha Starter

Never had an issue with these, there must be something else wrong with the engine causing this....you say the one on this boat....did you own it
when the other two were replaced? Have you tried running a set of battery cables directly to starter from battery(trust me, try this before doing anything else). Did you replace or was it done at dealer? Yamaha starter should last life of motor.

cub48

Seaman

Dealer replaced it both times. My son-inlaws boat. He dropped by the dealer and they did some checks told him look like the starter. So i went over last night and had a look, took my meter checked the postive cable from the battery to the starter it had no voltage drop. It throws the bendix in but won't turn the engine but about one tooth of the flywheel. I could push it down hit the starter it would go up that was it. I jumped the starter motor from the starter post to the lead going direct to the motor it would just arc just a little but not turn the engine. The dealer checked and cleaned all the connections the last time it was in. He has owned this boat 9 months and this will be the third starter. The first was a reman but the second was a new one. No we didn't put the jumper cables on it after no voltage drop and 13.5 volts at the stud did think it was worth it. Cub48 PS thats what i said it has to be something else and the dealer tells him these starter never give problems.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Did you test for voltage drop while the starter was engaged?
unloaded does not tell you much

My guess would be a bad cable, but a voltage drop test while loaded should tell you that real quick

cub48

Seaman

went over put jumper cables from the battery to starter post and ground to the starter housing same thing starter turns but stops when hits flywheel and it turns slow. also did voltage drop on neg cable. cub48 thanks

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll say this just once more....stop using the same supply and use a set of cables from battery to starter...and if you could use a battery like pull the car over to it you are eliminating the entire boat including the cable from battery in boat....have seen a LOT of good starters replaced....not surprised at third party starter but yamaha starters don't go bad 'cept maybe one in a thousand....or more....unless you have an amp clamp best to just eliminate the boat.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

what was voltage at the battery posts while starter was engaged?
another battery would be needed if it drops very far.

what was voltage at the starter while starter was engaged?

Have you tried turning the motor by hand with a wrench on flywheel nut just to make sure that it is not binding up mechanically?

cub48

Seaman

It is going to the dealer today so I won't be able to check it. He said they were going to contact Yamaha. As they said the same thing Yamaha starters don't go out. Let me run this by you I was talking to some guys last night and one of them said shim the starter it maybe in a bind. Which makes sense, it bolts directly to the block if was machined wrong it could be putting more pressure on the starter and getting it hot over time it goes out. Do you every check clerance at starter bendix to flywheel. The voltage at the time i was checking it was 13.5 v the onboard charger was pluged up. The boat is not at my house so i was between trips on second post. If it wasn't going to the dealer i would go and switch batteries and put the jumper cables on it. It is under waranty so let them try again. They checked the battery and cables last time put the new starter on and it last 4 months. I turned the flywheel last time it did it to make sure it was not locked up. Let me ask this could the HPDI have a higher torque starter and they are putting the regular engine starter on and it can't handle the load. Thought about jumping it from a car but did not want to burn something out as i don't know all the do's and don'ts on a boat engine. I'll let you know what we find out. Thanks for your help Cub48!!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Yes, if it is still under warranty then it is best to let them handle it.
You do not want to give them an excuse to not warranty it from something you did.
Does the motor take a long time to crank up or is it just a normal few seconds of turning over to fire it up?

cub48

Seaman

it starts right up almost as fast as a car engine. I am a auto tech I just wanted to make a few checks of my own. If it was out of warranty I would go into it my self and spend more time with it. Cub48