Black / Pink / Orange Wires in Motor???? - Yamaha 1991 v4 130 hp

goodson00

Cadet
Hi,

I found a male (I think) end connection that has a black, pink (may have started red) and orange wire that runs to my engine. Does anyone know what this connection is for? I am thinking it may be for a gauge or display for something but I have no idea and it is not connected. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!!!2011-11-11_13-45-12_644.jpg

Re: Black / Pink / Orange Wires in Motor???? - Yamaha 1991 v4 130 hp

2011-11-12_1834.png

Here is the Yamaha color codes.

2011-11-12_1840.png

Here is the "supposeably" ABYC "boat side" wire colors.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I take it these are on the engine, in the belly pan? This is important because Yamaha codes and the boat's wiring codes are different....the pink is a ground for the low oil/overheat alarm(Yamaha's close a ground to signal instead of hot), black is a ground(if SOLID black) and the orange is the trim
position signal. The orange will not send a signal if no trim position sensor is installed on your motor, in case you are wondering.

goodson00

Cadet

I take it these are on the engine, in the belly pan? This is important because Yamaha codes and the boat's wiring codes are different....the pink is a ground for the low oil/overheat alarm(Yamaha's close a ground to signal instead of hot), black is a ground(if SOLID black) and the orange is the trim
position signal. The orange will not send a signal if no trim position sensor is installed on your motor, in case you are wondering.

Yes, they are in the belly pan. All of these wires are together and hook up in the same connector. Is there a problem with these not being hooked up to anything in my center console. The connection looks the same as the connection to the oil tank. Thank you for your help. I did include a photo on my first post.

goodson00

Cadet

I do have good compression but I am not sure about the spark timing and fuel air mixture. Everything seems to be running fine, I am just not sure why this is not connected to anything in my center console. What would it connect to? A gauge of some kind? Thank you for your help.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right right....these are for guages....a trim gauge and a yamaha tach with oil and temp warnings....if you look at the number on engine it tells you if it has a trim sensor with a T in the code...like ELPT(Electric start,power trim, power tilt)...notice tilt and trim are two separate things...the sensor would be on the tilt tube under engine....back then were plastic(black). These not being connected means you probably don't have it....

goodson00

Cadet

Right right....these are for guages....a trim gauge and a yamaha tach with oil and temp warnings....if you look at the number on engine it tells you if it has a trim sensor with a T in the code...like ELPT(Electric start,power trim, power tilt)...notice tilt and trim are two separate things...the sensor would be on the tilt tube under engine....back then were plastic(black). These not being connected means you probably don't have it....

Thanks! Do you know if it would be possible to install a gauge for the oil and temp warning with these wires even if I don't have the tilt. My boat will run, plane out, and then 2 minutes later the alarm will sound and the motor will go into idle. The water pump is fine and the water is cool, and the motor has oil in the both tanks. I really appreciate your help.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, you have a problem...why not just ask about the problem to begin with?...first of all...yes you need to go purchase a yamaha tach for this motor....kinda expensive but should have had it to begin with...and yes you can hook it up without the trim....but as for your problem what I would do is run the motor and when the alarm sounds I would put my hand on the top of the heads(one at a time) and if you should be able to keep hand on head for two or three seconds without saying oweee!! If too hot to put hand on then it's hot....you can also buy 'melt' sticks at an auto parts store...wax formulated to melt at different temps....or a laser temp reader that you simply point at object to read temp.....you can also check to see if oil is actually pumping in different ways....one is to mark the tank in the boat with a marker at the level and see if it goes down when run....I suspect it's a temp alarm though...when was impeller replaced? Just impeller done or whole kit? Find out if it's getting hot and fix the problem, then get a gauge.

goodson00

Cadet

ok, you have a problem...why not just ask about the problem to begin with?...first of all...yes you need to go purchase a yamaha tach for this motor....kinda expensive but should have had it to begin with...and yes you can hook it up without the trim....but as for your problem what I would do is run the motor and when the alarm sounds I would put my hand on the top of the heads(one at a time) and if you should be able to keep hand on head for two or three seconds without saying oweee!! If too hot to put hand on then it's hot....you can also buy 'melt' sticks at an auto parts store...wax formulated to melt at different temps....or a laser temp reader that you simply point at object to read temp.....you can also check to see if oil is actually pumping in different ways....one is to mark the tank in the boat with a marker at the level and see if it goes down when run....I suspect it's a temp alarm though...when was impeller replaced? Just impeller done or whole kit? Find out if it's getting hot and fix the problem, then get a gauge.

I ran the boat yesterday and it took 10 minutes at 4000 rpm for the alarm to sound. It automatically went into idle mode for 2-3 minutes and then the alarm stopped and I ran it for another 10 minutes at 4000 rpm with no problems and the alarm did not sound again. Once the alarm sounded I checked the water coming out of the motor, which was cold, and I none of the heads were hot at all. I checked the oil tank on the motor and it was full. I am thinking it is a sensor issues, which is why I was asking about the disconnected wires. Any ideas? Thanks again for your assistance!

goodson00

Cadet

I have owned the boat for several months now and have never had this issues. I had someone rewire / clean up old wires on the boat and now this has started happening. I wonder if the guy who worked on the wires did something to make this happen.