96 Suzuki 200DT no spark

brandomako238

Recruit
Oil level is good, primer bulb is primed, motor cranks but wont fire. Sprayed some ether in the trottle body and nothing. I disconnected the kill switch to eliminate that factor and still wont start, removed a plug wire inserted another plug and had my 6year old crank and no spark. (rested plug against block) Removed power pack cover and traced power wire and fuses are good. Disconnected the butt connector on the power wire and when i re-pluged fuel pumped kicked on to prime. Voltage at battery is 12.6. During cranking it dropped to 11.1 and at the starter is 10.2 while cranking. Is there a separate power supply from the ignition to the coil. I guess i will play around and probe that. I tried starting the motor by jumping it off a car battery direct to the factory cables. It still wont start and no spark. I have brand new marine grade 1/0 cable from batteries to power post which is about 10'. I tried jumping it off the car because I wanted to eliminate the circuit from the power post to the battery. I feel convinced it's in the motor and or ignition switch at the key but I have no clue where to go from here. I traced all wires coming from harness from motor to ignition switch and everything looks fine.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 96 Suzuki 200DT no spark

need to pick up a service manual and get the proper test equipment to test electronic ignition system as the manual shows

Tcrum5711

Seaman

Second the service manual. I have a 150 that had the same symptoms. Would crank, fuel pump would kick on but no spark. Traced it to the low rpm circuit on the stator using the manual. Replaced the stator at the tune of $1100 and started right up. Check EBay or Brownspoint for the manual.

brandomako238

Recruit

Shop just told me it looks like the ecm/coil pack needs replaced if i understood them right.

edressen

Recruit

I have a 99 Suzuki 150, and it sounds like I am experiencing the same problem. Once the engine is warm, turn the key and it does not make the "beep" to warn that it is ready to start. The engine turns over without a problem, but will not spark until I can get it to "beep." Problem is becoming more consistent.

The mechanic changed a relay. Nope

Now wants to change Electronic Motor Control???

Did not say anything about the stater. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Is he guessing or testing things?

It would help if we knew what was tested and how
And what the results were of the tests

edressen

Recruit

I wish I knew that information. The nearest suzuki dealer to me is 300 miles. I took it to them because it is a complicated situation, but I was not satisfied with the work. They supposedly called "suzuki rep" with description of problem. He advised them to start with the relay then move to ECM???

As far as I know, they did not test anything. Living in rural Oregon makes it hard to find a good shop, but I need to look closer to home.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

A service manual and some reading should help you understand what to test and what test equipment is required, then you can test it yourself

edressen

Recruit

Thanks for the responses. That is the direction I was leaning as well.

Cheers