1997 yamaha 80 hp tilt & trim

Tmartin0423

Recruit
How can I manually lift the motor (1997 yamaha 80 hp)? Tilt and trim not working. Cylanoid only making clicking sound when you hit the button up or down. Just need to know how I can lift the motor manually. Thanks.

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1997 yamaha 80 hp tilt & trim

If your 80hp is the same as a 2 stroke 70 hp then the manual release is on the stbd. side bracket. There should be an opening in the bracket where you can access and TURN THE RELEASE VALVE with a large flat head screwdriver. Sometimes it can be frozen and hard to turn. Be careful once you release the pressure the engine will drop down.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1997 yamaha 80 hp tilt & trim

You can also try to by pass the relay and see if the pump works. If you do have a problem, I hope it is a motor failure as the relays are expensive but cheaply made. Just because it clicks does not mean that it is good.
As INDUCTED pointed out, the RELEASE VALVE can be a bear, especially if yours is a salt water motor. Get the largest flat head screw driver you can that fits in the hole. If the screw will not budge, sacrifice the screw driver and cut the end off so you can chuck it in an impact drill. Start with light taps and increase the torque until the screw loosens. I do not believe that the screw normally comes out completely but will take quite a few turns. regards FRED