Twin Yamaha Enduro 115 2 stroke - views and consumption estimates?

maxr

Recruit
Hi - I'm interested in this 25' x 8' , 8200lb deep V centre console fast fishing / sports boat:

Sports boat.jpg [click on photo to see full size]

The boat is a 'Bowen Formula 3 (built by a small but well regarded yard in Trinidad), and fitted from new with twin 'handed' Yamaha 115bhp 2 stroke Enduro engines from 2002 running on premix. We're told they're very low hours and regularly serviced. She's designed to be a (moderately) quick, and seaworthy, Caribbean island hopper. The present owner just 'fills and runs', he doesn't work out consumption figures - and I can't look up performance figures on the Net as I could for e.g. a Boston Whaler.

I'd appreciate views on these engines, and can anyone suggest some kind of best achievable fuel consumption with careful driving? A Yamaha Mexican web page gives consumption as '47 litres/hr', which I assume is worst case throttle wide open under full load - i.e. as much fuel as the pump can push through the jets. I've been told that maximum economy on these may be in a relatively narrow rev range.

Thanks, Max

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Twin Yamaha Enduro 115 2 stroke - views and consumption estimates?

It's almost impossible to kill those engines but they aren't the most fuel efficent. Expect about 11 gph at wot for each engine. If it stays on plane at 3000-3200 then the best economy will be about half that.Nice looking boat!

robert graham

Admiral

Good looking boat!...probably will burn through 25 gallons per hour at wide open throttle, some less than that just on plane, around 3500RPM's. It's gonna drink some gas!;)

maxr

Recruit

Thanks guys - that sounds pretty heavy for the power output. Is this era of 2-stroke prone to oiling up if run at low revs occasionally for fishing?

Max

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice

I don't see many enduros here,(us gulf coast),but one of the reasons that they last so long is due to the rich fuel mixture.Couple that with the right premix and you have an almost bullet proof engine.I would worry more about corrosion. Check the shift rod at the lower unit. You can see it where it enters the lower unit.Later ones are stainless steel as are the replacments,but they are a beast to change.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That boat needs twin 150's to get decent mpg....the 115's will work too hard with smaller props to keep that heavy a boat on plane....wouldn't be a good choice....25' and 8' beam needs more to burn less at cruise....ironic ain't it?

maxr

Recruit

Thanks for that advice yamatech43 and mobilemike - shame, she's a lovely boat otherwise.

Max

robert graham

Admiral

Thanks for that advice yamatech43 and mobilemike - shame, she's a lovely boat otherwise.

Max
There's a few things to consider before buying or not: What's the price of the boat?, and how far and how fast do you need to go? If you're just running a few miles out to the reef and back to fish, then maybe gas mileage and speed is not so important. What's the price of the boat? That's a darn nice boat and could be great for the right applications! Good Luck!

maxr

Recruit

I'm told the owner wants $25K, and there is a big advantage that he's interested to sell the 10 ton lift she's on too at a 1/4 new cost. Mileage would not be big (the boat's on a small island in the Caribbean), but we'd be co-buying with someone who wants to do some fishing, so operation of those 2 strokes at trolling speed might be an issue?

There are 3 boats same as this there - one was re-engined with 2 x 200hp 4 stroke, one is about to do so with 2 x 150 (he says there is a local market for the current 115 Enduro engines). I wonder how 1 x new lightweight Yamaha 300 hp would go on this boat? I guess the engine mount should be up to the power, I believe the weight is 2/3 of current engines (550lb vs 700+ lb), and we'd have to flush the fuel tank and lines after 2 stroke operation for 9 years, and maybe new guages and throttle setup? Only thing aganst might be $$$, and we might want a 'wing' engine with portable gas tank for safety (lots of mean reefs around the area of operation) - any thoughts?

Max

robert graham

Admiral

That's a nice boat with the lift for $25K. A new 300HP Yamaha installed could cost you about that much. Why even worry about fuel consumption?...no matter what you buy it's gonna burn some gas! Ask the owner to let you run a one-day sea trial and see what you think, but that looks like a real nice boat to me, provided there's no warts or issues you're unaware of. Do the sea trial first!:)

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice

You may be overthinking the whole thing. My thoughts are; (1) it's a good looking boat,(2) getting a great price on the lift, (3) you can repower at any time,(4) it's not the only one that was powered with those engines, so it must run ok. Repowering with a large single engine will cost as much as the boat.The sale of the 115s will buy the new kicker engine,but theres a new gauge panel to fabricate,cover the hole where the dual control was and install a single control,and then there are the command link gauges,harnesses,buss bars,key switch etc.You will probably have to upgrade the steering as well. If the boat performs well during the sea trial,i think that i would start looking for someone to install my "new" lift,enjoy a turn key boat, and bite the bullet at the pump. Just my thoughts.

maxr

Recruit

Thanks very much for all your help, guys. The situation has now changed unexpectedly, because an immaculate Sailfish 2360CC with twin 4 stroke Yamaha 150s has come up for sale at a fair price. It's a good deal faster and/or quite a lot more economical, and spares are readily available. The Sailfish may not be quite so good looking, but it rings all thr right bells. So, I think we'll go for that.

Max