1998 B90TLRW Yamaha Overheats

yogi53

Recruit
Riding at 4000 RPM and overheat sensor goes off, throttle idle drop off kicks on. Waited, Horn stopped, Started back to ramp. Overheated at 3200 RPM. Noticed pressure gage is below 10 PSI at idle. Plenty of pressure coming out of pee hole. Pulled lower unit and impeller looks O.K. Same problem last year. Read a lot about Pressure Control Valve. Removed and cleaned it. Looked pretty good. Replaced thermostat, o/heat sensor, water pump. Ended up with 18 PSI and o/heat went went away. Run in saltwater only. Have built in engine flush kit and use it religiously when I get home from running boat. Don't want to pull head to see if water ports are plugged. Yamaha's known for snapping head bolts. Any suggestions?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 B90TLRW Yamaha Overheats

Sounds like you fixed it with the things you did, so what do you need from us?

How often do you do the Yamaha recommended preventative maintenance on your motor?

I like to run motor with muffs on to make sure the thermostat opens and water gets through every passage while flushing with fresh water.

yogi53

Recruit

Sorry I wasn't clear. Just talking that I had the same problem last year, now pressure is really low and I never had the horn go off at 3200. Don't want to pull the head like I said because the bolts are known to snap. Any suggestions?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

water pump and PRV again are my recommendations if pressure has dropped

yogi53

Recruit

Never replaced the PRV. Will add that into the mix this time. Thanks.