What do you recommend I look for. Yamaha 22'5 4 Strokes Sitting for 3 year winterized

hathaway65

Recruit
Hi,
I am looking for some helpful direction. I am looking at a 2004 Wellcraft Coastal 290 with Yamaha 225's on it with 320 hrs. It has not been in the water for 2 years, sitting in a yard with the engines winterized. When I open it up this spring, it will have sat 3 years idle.

What should I look for and what should be the recommissioning of them? Full tune up with plugs? Drop the lower gear unit and replace the impellers?

Any direction or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Frank

robert graham

Admiral
Re: What do you recommend I look for. Yamaha 22'5 4 Strokes Sitting for 3 year winter

I would just assume that all the fuel in the tanks, pumps, filters, etc. has degraded and needs to be removed and flushed out Before starting the motors. New water pump impellars would be a great idea at this time. Inspect spark plugs and replace if necessary, but they may be fine.

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What do you recommend I look for. Yamaha 22'5 4 Strokes Sitting for 3 year winter

the 290 is a nice boat,well thought out. One of the few problems i have seen with the f225s is carbon building up on the valve seats and face due to long idle in gear (no wake,trolling etc.). Yamaha has a procedure called a "shock treatment" with their ring free plus.Now would be an ideal time to do it as yamaha says to change the engine oil after the process,as well as changing the plugs. That,along with Robert's advice and a lower unit service should put you in business.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First thing....that is a LOOOONNNNGGG time fore an outboard to sit....don't even bother to run it yet...just have the carbs removed and cleaned correctly(soaked) and rebuilt....replace the impellers and have new lube in lower units....I would probably also replace the fuel lines as the gas these days is actually crap and deposits will be in lines from sitting....think of blood clots that get dissolved somewhat and move....not good. This isn't so bad as may sound to have done....get a quote on full job....in this economy a good shop will give a break, even mention it to them..."hey, give me a break on getting this much work done" and they will. I should have said the obvious.....new filters all thru, new separators, grease the zerk fittings....this is a great setup and i'm jealous. FISHING MACHINE!!

mitch123

Cadet

They be efi motors cap,n so clean vst remove gum from dried up fuel in vst change all oils and filters clean stale fuel from fuel tanks re fill and away you go