1988 Suzuki DT55 someone stole my coils

scooter1962

Recruit
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum & I hope I'm posting this right. I just bought an older bayliner boat for the engine an it is a 1988 Dt55 Suzuki engine (#0551-807601). The man said the engine ran perfect before parked 2yrs ago. Oldly enough someone stole all 3 ignition coils while it was parked:(. I just got 3 new ones and ordered a service manual. I'm an X-motorcycle mechanic but, eager to learn about marine engines and ready to get this thing running so I can swap it out in place of a 35hp mercury on my 15' Sea Nymph fishing boat . I have 3 wires from the CDI. They are GREY----LIGHT BLUE----ORANGE and I need to know which one goes to the top/middle/bottom cylinders. Also, I ran a compression check and top= 124 middle= 134 and bottom 124. Does this sound about right? If anyone can lend a little advice, I would greatly appreciate the input. In the mean time I will be searching thru all the post relating to this engine to learn everything I can.

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Suzuki DT55 someone stole my coils

Top-Orange, Middle-L Blue, Bottom-Gray. The wires from the coils should also have a colored collar so they don't get mixed up in the future. The compression numbers sound fine, hopefully the motor was fogged before sitting for 2 years. Make sure to run pre-mix for awhile until you're sure the oil injection system is working properly.

scooter1962

Recruit

I got the motor up and running and now it looks like I'll have to replace the water pump. The tale-tale pee hole was barily flowing. I tried back flushing it and then it works good for a about 2-3 min and stop again. I did run 50-1 pre-mix so far and she smokes like a frieght train. Hopefully soon I will get the oil injection figured out too...From my 2 cycle motorcycle day...I'm a bit skared of them things. Hey can you tell me what "fogged" means (I'm pretty new to boating) and it sounds like something I should do to winterize the motor. I've read about a 100 post so far and learned a lot. Thanks a plenty for your advice.

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class

When the motor sits for a long time, some of the vanes on the impeller take a set in the collapsed position. A new impeller would be a good idea. A piece of string-trimmer line inserted in the tell-tale hole while the motor is running might clear the debris.

Fogging a two stroke means spraying a can of clingy preservative oil into the motor while running to protect the shiny parts from corrosion during storage.

The oil injection is very reliable and I believe your year has an oil flow sensor that will set an alarm if it's not working correctly. Still a good idea to run pre-mix for awhile when you bring a two-stroke motor back into service.