N00b question: My 1988 6SG Yamaha Outboard appears to be missing a part

I just bought a used Yamaha 6SG outboard for my 14' Jon boat. I took it out today and it performed nicely. However, I noticed that when the outboard was lowered, it tilted past vertical, and the outboard kicks up when in reverse. I looked to see if there was a latch/adjustment to fix these two items, and it appears to me that my outboard is missing a part.

I have made a video that will hopefully explain better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLluTq3nQIs (note the video is rather close up - you are looking at the outside of the transom and the lower part of the Motor tilt control and clamp).

Am I indeed missing a part? If so, can I craft a new one out of round metal rod, or what is the name of the part I need to buy? Thanks in advance!

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: N00b question: My 1988 6SG Yamaha Outboard appears to be missing a part

I'm pretty sure your missing the reverse lock shaft.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

PS: I have a 1995 Yami 6hp basically the same motor as yours. You can go to boats.net look under Yamaha Parts, go to your year, and select what part your looking for.

According to the Video it looks like the Tilt Rod Assembly which is about $20 but you can make your own.
Thanks! I found that part on the schematic and it looks like the right one. For $20 I will probably just buy it rather than try to make my own.