2006 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke Oil level alarm troubles.

90hp

Recruit
The motor has only done 9 hours since its last service at 100hrs, however its been two years or so since that was done. It was running fine before I removed it to work on the transom. Motor sat on the floor roughly in the same orientation as when the motor is tilted up on the trailer. It sat there for about a month whilst fibreglassing the transom. When remounting it, noticed the oil level was about half full, so topped it up.

After remounting the motor, turned the key on, to find a continuous alarm at the remote. the oil tank is full, and have started it easily running premixed fuel, but the alarm keeps going even after letting it idle for a while, thinking it might be air in the oil line. Have removed and drained the oil tank, and removed the oil level strainer/float/sensor assembly and gave it a good rinse in fuel. Tipping the assembly upside down allows the float to move to the full position and the alarm goes off. Put it back into the tank and filled the tank with oil, alarm still there.

I am thinking that I need to dismantle the oil sensor assy, so I can clean the shaft and filter more thoroughly. I have a genuine Yamaha manual, as well as a subscription to Seloc online, and there is insignificant information about disassembling it. Have also tried asking the mechanics at the Yamaha shop, and found them very guarded about handing out too much information, as I guess they dont want us doing some of our own serviceing. Indeed, have just found out that Yamaha have stopped selling the genuine workshop manuals to the public in Australia, as they dont want us doing our own repairs or servicing. So, Im wondering if anyone has already come across this problem, and have had these things apart before? Any information about how they come apart would be greatly appreciated, as well as tips for reassembling. I think the earlier ones had a circlip holding them together but the drawings in the workshop manuals dont show one. Im a bit concerned about damaging it by dismantling the wrong way etc.

Also, the books mention bleeding the pump afterwards, Seloc says to take the front cover of the pump off, and fill it with oil and reassemble, other references mention a screw at the top of the pump for bleeding, my dealer said just start it up and it should self bleed. The yamaha manual just says to bleed it, but doesnt mention how to do it. So also would appreciate if anyone has done this before and could pass on a few tips.

Thanks in advance from Australia.

90hp

Recruit
Re: 2006 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke Oil level alarm troubles.

Problem solved, caused by human error. Bit hard tracking down good wiring diagrams, and made the mistake of not photographing everything before I took the motor off. The wires coming from the digital display meters have male and female connectors that are the same as the connectors on the end of the wires coming from the oil level sensor and the trim sensor. Must have marked the wrong connectors during dismantling, also a mate disconnectoed the wires, normally I work alone to avoid distraction and mistakes. During reconnection, the marks were missing and I assumed the plugs with only two wires matched. Wrong, the 4 wires that come from the guage to each of its conectors I guess are for different motors, so only two wires are used in my application. So, placed the connector from the oil sensor with two green wires to the guage connector that had two green wires, and the trim sensor connector went to the guage plug with a matching pink and black wire. Then everything was back to normal.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2006 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke Oil level alarm troubles.

Good to hear you found the problem.
A factory Yamaha service manual is the best thing to buy if you own and mess with your Yamaha motor;)