02' 25 HP 4 stroke Yamaha (Water in gas jacked up my carburetor!) HELP PLEASE.

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay I passed some bad gas through my motor and after flushing the fuels system it still won't run right. This has happened before (a few years ago) and a removal and cleaning of carb by a local shop fixed the problem. So now that it has happened again I'm wondering if can I do this myself? I mean what all is involved, I am fairly mechanical but never messed with carbs before.

Thanks!!

P

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 02' 25 HP 4 stroke Yamaha (Water in gas jacked up my carburetor!) HELP PLEASE.

If you want to do it right, get a Yamaha factory service manual for YOUR yr. motor, and in my case cross your fingers before you begin the teardown :confused: My 4strk has 4 carbs:eek::facepalm:

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 02' 25 HP 4 stroke Yamaha (Water in gas) MAYBE NOT? MAY HAVE A SPARK ISSUE??

Re: 02' 25 HP 4 stroke Yamaha (Water in gas) MAYBE NOT? MAY HAVE A SPARK ISSUE??

Well I've taken it apart and the starter plunger was stuck, I soaked it in some seafoam and cleaned it up and now it is moving freely I'm going to spray all the jets out with a can of carb cleaner and put it all back together and we shall see.

see part#23
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2000/F25MLHY/CARBURETOR/parts.html#

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay took the carb down cleaned it up replaced no difference.

So I unplug the top sparkplug wire and crank it up runs but not well (not alot different either)
I replaced top plug wire and unplug the bottom plug wire..WON"T START????

WHAT DOES IT MEAN??? it's a mystery like a double rainbow.

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled the plugs and cranked it and both plugs are firing??/

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If it has good compression and spark then you need to relook at the fuel(carbs)

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it has good compression and spark then you need to relook at the fuel(carbs)

a little more detail

I was running it today about full throttle then suddenly wham all the power is lost and would barely idle, kept trying it and it would spit and sputter then get a blast of power and take off and then spit and bog down and die. Well I figured it was bad gas, brought it home changed the gas pulled the carb cleaned it up real good blew out all the jets with carb cleaner and even found a stuck starter plunger in bowl housing, got it all put back together and just knew it wass gonna run right NOPE!!?!?!?!

I pulled the plugs and they are both firing but when I disconnect the top it runs (badly) but when I disconnect the bottom plug it won't start? Shouldn't it run with either plug wire unplugged? and not just one or the other?

GOT ANY MORE IDEAS??

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 02' 25 HP 4 stroke Yamaha (Water in gas jacked up my carburetor!) HELP PLEASE.

anybody else got any ideas or similar experience

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I just repaired my twin cyl. Briggs and Stratten 24hp. lawnmower engine that had a similar problem. It would start and idle ok, but buck w throttle, then run ok at full throttle except for a slight audible miss every couple of seconds. I pulled one pluwire almost off the plug, cranked it and popped it loose and there was NO change in the idle at all. I re-attached it and tried the other side and the motor instantly died. I had spark, but the 2nd side looked alittle weak. I repaced the magneto/plugwire, one unit. and it ran better but still stumbled w throttle and popped or missed at full throttle. I removed the valve cover and found the intake valve pushrod laying in the head. The rocker arm mounting bolt had backed out of the head far enough to drop the valve. I removed and applied locktight, reinstalled and it runs great now. I think the rocker was loosening for 2+ yrs. because of gradual power loss I attributed to Ethanol. And I assume this will shorten the life of this motor as It was run this way for maybe 25 hrs.(intake valve not opening enough):( On the upside, my mowers fuel consumption has fallen considerably w the repair:)

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope it's nothing that bad!!

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Success!!!:)

Put it in the river today and it ran perfect! I think think when it's in the water and I slam open the throttle the load on it from being in the water prevents it from turning up faster than it can get fuel unlike when I tried it on the hose.

Bottom line is. Removed (again) and soaked in Berryman's Carb Dip for 24+ hours, installed a kit (float, o-rings, float valve etc). RAN GREAT! Problem solved!:D

The kit was about $35, Berryman's $20 at Wal-Mart (although I spent $30 at Autozone:facepalm:) and a little effort.

Shop woulda charge between $100 and $150.

Also installed a 10 micron fuel/water separator filter, and will only be running NO ETHANOL gas in the future!

T. Johnson

Recruit

I'm having exact same problem with my 03 yamaha 25 4 stroke. I'll be tearing into it Monday morning. If I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

T. Johnson.

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not that bad just take your time taking it down, take notes and don't lose anything. There is a little clip (outside body in front of a washer)that holds the throttle arm that runs through the carb-body and holds the butterfly valve, well it's under tension and it will fly off and it's very small and hard to find when it does. The little plunger is connected to an arm that must be disconnected from it's plastic ball and socket joint, it's kind of a booger to disconnect as it takes a little force but it will pop off and pop right back on.

Have fun!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

make sure you do the link and sync like the Yamaha service manual states after reinstalling the carbs after cleaning

robert graham

Admiral

Of course your fuel/water separator is very good, but use the Stabil or Seafoam in fuel all the time, more when motor won't be run for several days or weeks. Drain carb float chambers now and then(especially at lay-up time) to help keep water/debris/whatever out of float chambers. These preventive maintenance items will save a lot of time, trouble, sweat and $$$ on fuel related problems! Good luck!;)

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure you do the link and sync like the Yamaha service manual states after reinstalling the carbs after cleaning

What is that?

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The carbs need to be syncronized. This is done using a vacuum gauge attached to each carb. Follow the instructions in your service manual. Also you have to align the linkage marks, at idle and at WOT and the throttle cable has to be aligned according to specs. Good luck

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The carbs need to be syncronized. This is done using a vacuum gauge attached to each carb. Follow the instructions in your service manual. Also you have to align the linkage marks, at idle and at WOT and the throttle cable has to be aligned according to specs. Good luck

Well someone will have to enlighten me on this one:confused:

I have looked but for the life of me I can't find but one carburetor on this motor :eek:

Ohh I know why..:rolleyes:..IT ONLY HAS ONE CARBURETOR.:facepalm:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

never seen a 25 4 stoke with one carb, only 2 strokes of the older kind, as even the newer 2 strokes have multiple carbs.
Must not be one from around the states
It is always best to post a model # so some one besides you knows what motor you are talking about

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

never seen a 25 4 stoke with one carb, only 2 strokes of the older kind, as even the newer 2 strokes have multiple carbs.
Must not be one from around the states
It is always best to post a model # so some one besides you knows what motor you are talking about

2002 F25 ESHA

Just like the service manual shows too..ONE CARB.

I'm pretty sure they're all that way!