Starting problem with 2001 50HP Yamaha Tiller

Makky

Cadet
Hi:

After reading these forum reports about Yamaha carbs I have finally learned my lesson about
taking care of fuel quality. Last year I took my motor in for carb work. After one year use it works
perfect in all speed ranges. But I have a question about starting. Even when new this motor seemed
to be a hard starter. That is after sitting for a couple of weeks of nonuse, one had to crank it and crank
it before it would finally start running on one cylinder. What kind of choke control does this motor have?
Is there any way to assist the electrical choke if it even has one? My son has this identical motor and he
also found it to be a cold starter. On his, he cannot be in a tilt position. If the motor is vertically down
it helps. I had one mechanic tell me that these motors are always hard starters.
Thanks for any help or consideration.

Makky

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Starting problem with 2001 50HP Yamaha Tiller

a model # would help look up what parts this thing has, so we could respond to your questions

Makky

Cadet

99YAM40
Thank you for your response. The Model number is F50T2HZ . Also, it is a 4-stroke
engine with four carbs.

MAKKY

Makky

Cadet

99yam40:
I copied the Model number wrong. It should have been F50TLHZ. I have read some earlier posts about this type of problem and it sounds like a prime start solenoid problem. Does this
mean that it has some type of electrothermal valve? I am also using a tank that does not have an air vent problem. When I release the cap there is some built up pressure. Does this model of outboard require a vented tank?
MAKKY

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Still do not see a tiller model 50 hp 4 stroke in 2001.
And you did not answer my question on your starting procedure.

yes it should have electrothermal valve if it is a prime start system, maybe 2 of them.

I would think it would require a vented tank,but could be wrong about your motor, my C40TLRX 2 stroke will suck a plastic tank in if I do not open the vent on it not build pressure.

Makky

Cadet

99yam40:
Thanks for your reply. I have tried various methods of starting, but will proceed with other
methods of investigation. I think I will pay closer attention to the fuel line bulb and the
venting question.

MAKKY