2005 Yamaha F60 not getting full power....suggestions?

on_ice

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,

I have a 2005 Yamaha 60 4 stroke (F60TLRD) which is not running correctly. I just bought it and the 3 times I have had it it does not run right. It starts right up, revs fine and moves at idle speed fine for as long as you want. Then, if you give it throttle it will get the boat right up on a plane until about 2 minutes in where it loses power and slows down. Afterward I do not get full power again and can not get it back on a plane. It will idle, but stalls occasionally and hesitates/stumbles if you try to give it power. I have siphoned out all the gas and replaced it with new 87 octane, replaced all fuel lines, replaced the water/fuel seperator, replaced primer bulb and checked the inline fuel filter. What could it be?

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2005 Yamaha F60 not getting full power....suggestions?

Have you tried running it on a test tank?

patbalmos

Seaman

Sounds like a bad fuel transfer pump. Have you tried pumping the primer bulb when it starts acting up?

on_ice

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you tried running it on a test tank?

No, but I figured I eliminated any chances of bad fuel when i siphoned all the old fuel out and started new.

on_ice

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like a bad fuel transfer pump. Have you tried pumping the primer bulb when it starts acting up?

I agree, is there any way to test it? Pumping the primer bulb does not seem to be the case. I also thought it could be clogged injectors. Can the injectors be removed and cleaned or would they have to be replaced? Would running a fuel system cleaner help at all?

Also, how can I test the pump labeled as 17 in the link below? Can the filter labeled at 19 be cleaned or must it be replaced? It looks like just a mesh filter that I could clean with a toothbrush if its dirty.

patbalmos

Seaman

Yes the fuel injectors can be cleaned but you need to send them to a shop to have it done it shouldent cost more than 25.00 per injector. The pump you are referring to is the high pressure fuel pump located inside the vst housing you can test it by checking the pressure at the fuel rail that feeds the injectors there is a schrader valve located on the top of the rail. The parts book shows a slightly different filter than I am used to on the vst pump. But in the past no replacement of the filter was necessary just clean it out real good. You may want to order a new oring gasket for the top of the vst as they tend to degrade over time. If you send the injectors off to be cleaned you need definately need to clean the vst and the high pressure pump at the same time as dirt accumilates in the bottom of the tank and then it is pumped into the injectors clogging them up.