2002 suzuki dt150 hasn't been started in 8 years

skeeter7

Seaman Apprentice
I'm considering repowering my rig with a used motor. I found a good local deal on a 2002 suzuki dt150. The story on the motor is that it was used as a demo motor for suzuki from 2002-2003. After that it was removed from the boat, crated, and stored in their warehouse. It sat there unitl 2006 when this private seller bought the motor and planned to repower his boat with it. He ended up having hull issues and never used the motor so it's continued to sit at his house where it currently remains. So basically the motor was lightly used for about a year and hasn't been run in about 8 years. Im thinking this could end up being a good deal, but I'm unsure of all the risks with a motor that's been sitting for so long. I'm going to check it out on sunday. The plan is to rig it up temporarely so we can run it, do a spark test, and a compression test. Any advice on starting this thing for the first time in a long time? If it's not seized, look clean, starts, runs smooth, has good spark, and good compression should I pull the trigger? What if we can't find a way to temporarlily rig it and run it? Should that be a deal breaker?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2002 suzuki dt150 hasn't been started in 8 years

8 years is a long time, so I'd want to see it run before I put my $$$ down. Internal corrosion would be something to check out. Be sure and get all old fuel out of the entire system, tank, lines, pumps, filters, etc. BEFORE trying to start motor....last thing you want is to suck a lot of old contaminated gas through the system. It may turn out to be a great motor! Good Luck!:)