Yamaha not pumping oil from remote tank

2003 yamaha 150txrb
6G4 X 1006841

The alarm was going off so I took a look at what was going on and found there was no oil going from the remote oil tank to the engine tank. I took the remote tank off and checked the filter which was fine. I hooked the pump up to electric and it was working fine out of the boat. I put the tank back in the boat, hooked it up and it only pumps oil for about 30 seconds and stops. If I flip the emergency oil switch it will continue to pump fine. What I saw that was strange was that with the engine running I do have power going to the pump even when the pump stops running, but I'm not 100% sure how this works.

If anyone can help me out that would be great. Pump will run fine if disconnected and hooked up to separate power, will only run for about 30 seconds hooked up normally, and will run fine if using the emergency oil switch.

thanks

Re: Yamaha not pumping oil from remote tank

I replaced the engine oil level sender and it still did the same thing. The remote tank oil sender was new last year.

After checking with a meter I found that the blue wire at the remote tank is not staying as ground when it should be.

I'm leaning towards it being the cdi because all the connections seem good, everything else in the system is working fine (two sensors, emergency switch, oil pump when hooked up to separate power). Any other checks I should do before getting a cdi?

Anyone know if there is anything else on the engine that would tell the pump to shut off that I could try to disconnect? I don't see anything in the wiring diagram. I am trying to follow the ground (blue) wire coming off the pump itself. It comes out of the pump and goes to a connector where one end goes to the emergency switch and the other end goes to the cdi. Once it is in the cdi I'm not sure where it goes to ground.

Ok I disconnected all harnesses leaving the engine except for the one that would give the remote oil tank a ground and it didn't make a difference. I'm going for a cdi, unless anyone wants to stop me with a better idea?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Do you have a Yamaha service manual for this motor?

May need to do some forum searching and reading, there has been a lot posted about this subject.

Seems I remember the system need a signal that the motor is running or it does not keep the pump running, but I could be wrong

Thanks for the reply. I did a bunch of searching and found other problems similar but not really what I see going on with this engine since the pump will run for about 30 seconds before shutting down. I do have the book but the oil injection troubleshooting section says very little. I've mainly been using the book to figure out what wires should do what, such as the emergency switch not supplying the oil pump with power but instead completing its ground. The ignition switch does have to be on for the oil pump to run so I am assuming that it needs to get this signal like you say, although I think this signal is probably in the computer itself and not a wire that can be checked. That is what I am thinking anyway as I can't find anything in the wire diagram. I'll do some more searching the the board again.