Yamaha 80 HP model F80TRLB difficult to start after one week

mharwood

Cadet
I recently purchased a boat with a 2003 Yamaha F 80TRLB engine. It has always been difficult to start after not being run for several days. If I run it every day and leave it in the water it will start every morning even if temp is in the 40's .
1. I have replaced all the old gas in the boat as it had been not used often by the previous owner.
2. I have run seafoam and another product suggested by local dealer to clean carbs.
3. I have removed and checked prime start solenoids according to my repair manual and they check out fine.
4. I have sprayed a good carb cleaner on the prime start valve and down into carb where the valves fit.
5. I follow the yamaha recommended starting procedure of leaving throttle closed during start.

Although all of the above has made a difference it still takes 30 seconds or so of cranking to get it to fire and start. Onec it is started and remains in the water it will start every consecutive morning within 2 seconds. I do not want to spend the $700 quoted by the local dealer to overhaul carbs as it does not make sense to me because it runs and starts good at all other times.Anyone got any other ideas ?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 80 HP model F80TRLB difficult to start after one week

explain to us how you are cranking motor, are you following the owner manuals direction of turning over for a few seconds and then letting sit for a few and then repeating?

mharwood

Cadet

I ususally crank for 5-10 seconds and then let it rest for 10 seconds or so sometimes I will repump the primer valve at that time. I usually need to do this cycle 3- 4 times and then it will start and stay running. As i said this only occurs after a period of not using boat. Most of the time boat just sits on trailer in my drive way. It is a fishing boat and i will ususally go fishing once every 10 days or so. The odd part of this is that should i take a several day fishing trip the first day it starts hard as i have described. but on the morning of the second day it takes less than 2 seconds of cranking and it starts and idles well. If boat is not used for 3-5 days is when i have troulble starting it again.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

3 times 3-5 second turns of the key does not sound out of place for a prime start system as that is what my 2 stk takes but not for one with a choke.
It takes a little bit for the fuel to get into the crank case and then into the cylinder.
Just my thoughts.

mharwood

Cadet

Thanks for the thoughts on this, I have not had a chance to talk to others with a similar engine. I plan to pursue one other avenue and that is the prime bulb it does seem like it might be leaking back slightly , also plan to check out the fuel pump to be sure it is up to par. Do you know what the cranking fuel presssure should be ?