Basic question(s) on Suzuki tilt/trim

Luv2q

Cadet
First, I'm a new kid where it comes to outboards and the mysteries of tilt/trim. No experience whatsoever.

That said, I have a new-to-me Suzuki DF25 with a tilt/trim function. Here are my newby questions:

1. I wanted to raise the motor with the trim switch to get the transom saver off. Nothing, regardless of whether the key switch is ON or OFF. Could it be that the engine actually needs to be running in order for the tilt/trim function to be live?

2. In gorilla mode, I broke the toggle on the switch. In replacing it, I find two spade-connected wires. One is hot at all times, the other isn't. Is that right? The switch itself is a 3-connector switch with one unused.

3. When I temporarily replaced the broken switch and connected up the two wires to the new switch, I get nothing. No clicks, etc. Again, I'm wondering if the engine needs to be running.

Yes, I have a Service manual on order and am trying, through Ron Hoover Marine in Houston, to get an Owners Manual. And, yes, I should have waited for the manuals. But I didn't :( so can anyone offer any advice/suggestions? If it matters, the motor is on a 16' Carolina Skiff.

Any suggestions, advice appreciated. (I've already beaten myself up for stupidly breaking the damn switch so you can skip that if you want to.)

Thanks in advance.
John

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Basic question(s) on Suzuki tilt/trim

motor does not need to be running for tilt to work.
Switch should operate a relay to run the tilt trim motor
Use a volt meter to see if it is getting voltage to relay and/or the motor

Luv2q

Cadet

Thanks - Hadn't thought of a relay. I did check that the fuses are all OK. On the switch, is it a momentary (up-neutral-down)?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Yes is it a momentary. Only makes connection while in that position

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i have had connectors become disconnected. my 2 stroke uses 2 power wires and a common neutral. i can get you diagram if needed