2001 Yamaha f115tlrz stiff steering

scoville

Cadet
I have a f115 and the steering is rather stiff, is there a friction setting on these motors that can be adjusted to rule out a cable or some sort of seizure in the pivot point of the motor? and if so where would it be located.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2001 Yamaha f115tlrz stiff steering

Is the steering system greased well? there are grease fittings on the steering pivot also.

scoville

Cadet

It was greased at the beginning of the season this year and it seemed to loosen it a bit but it is still stiff when turning to the starboard side.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Is its stiff to the right when underway?, if so you may need to adjust the trim tab on the lower unit. Are you sure every grease fitting was lubed?, if someone else did it they may have missed one or two.

scoville

Cadet

It is only stiff to the one side and I greased all the fittings myself and am pretty sure I got them all.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I assume its hard to turn to the right w the motor off?. If so try disconnecting the steering linkage at the engine and turning it by hand, it should rotate smooth and easily. If the steering wheel is stiff to the right when undone from the motor, the problem is there.