94 Suzuki 85 hp 2 stroke oil injected Good motor?

Hello, I am looking at getting a boat with this motor. Apparently the second owner of this boat whom I will be buying from claims that the carbs were rebuilt at the time he bought it 2 years ago(I guess the boat ran great but had a slight infrequent stutter and the owner who is very meticulus and of means had then done anyway according to his friend). The boat is in very good shape but has been sitting for about 1 year. We are going on the lake tomorrow to test driver it. Any know issue with this year motor? Could sitting for one year cause issues? And if this motor runs well does that garantee that sitting did not hurt it(possible future issues?) It's a nice boat with this nice Suzuki jet drive. I hope it wrings out fine. Thanks for your comments.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 94 Suzuki 85 hp 2 stroke oil injected Good motor?

Fuel a year old can cause carb problems
and any motor that set up for year without being fogged to keep internal shiny parts coated with oil could have rust pits on bearings, crank, cylinder walls. etc. and cause problems in the long and short haul

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 94 Suzuki 85 hp 2 stroke oil injected Good motor?

The motor itself is a good motor. Suzuki is one of the best out there...maybe a notch below Yamaha. If the motor was maintained properly (winterization etc.) then it should be in good shape. No experience with jet drives though.

Running well on a test drive does not guarantee anything. Ask the owner a lot of questions.
Buying anything used is taking a little bit of a risk.