Yamaha F115 (2002) idles way too fast; high rpms

esox99

Recruit
I have a 2002 F115 four stroke Yamaha. Nearly 900 hours of great operation until last month. Low speed idle started creeping up and within 2 days had gone from 800rpm in neutral to 1900-2100rpm in neutral. This has also affected rpm at high speed.
I have been to 2 authorized Yamaha service shops. The first (in Canada) installed a new idle control unit which worked for 2 days before problem returned. Then they tried a CPU (brain) from another boat and checked many connections and settings. No luck and I had to tow boat back home (900 miles) without fixing problem.
Next shop (in Missouri) tried putting my CPU in another F115; it made the idle increase so we figured it was the CPU. Put a good used CPU in my boat yesterday and it did not sove the problem. HELP!

9/1/11 - Thanks for all the ideas! I am not a mechanic (not even close), but there are a couple of your ideas I can check myself. To put things in perspective, I have watched the mechanic replace the ISC and I installed the used CDI. I don't know what a YDS is, but I'm guessing it may have something to do with the computers both shops hooked up to my Yamaha???
The mechanic in Canada checked many parts and settings and compared them to a new F115 he had for sale. He had some of the specs written down and gave me a copy when I left to help the solve the mystery; these included intake pressure, timing, voltage (battery and TPS, whatever that is), ISC opening %, fuel injection duration, temperatures, etc. He also said compression was good and he adjusted all of the "butterfly" settings. Below (attached) is my attempt at summarizing his hand-written notes.

He changed out the ISC and the motor ran fine for 2 days, then the low idle increased again and stayed that way; they put my old ISC back on and refunded the cost of that part before I towed the boat home (very fair on their part!). So my most recent test (yesterday) was my old ISC with the used CDICould it be that my ISC and CDI were bad??? Thanks for any more ideas.
Yamaha F115 engine comparisons.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Yamaha F115 (2002) idles way too fast; high rpms

Sounds like you need to have a properly trained shop check the throttle vacuum with a Vacuumate or equivalent. Probably should have them check valve lash clearence, if you think the motor is worth it. With that many hours that is the first 2 places I would check after engine condition. A bad ISC would not have any effect on upper rpm's of operation. The ISC is a valve that supplies air to allow the engine to idle properly. If the throttle plates are open too much too much air is being inducted into the intake, therefore the ISC does not have any function. I would check timing though to verify. If you have lost a pulser coil or have a critical sensor out of spec it could be locked in base timing at 10 degrees BTDC. Did they hook the YDS up to the motor or was this one too old and just the winky blinky?

2011-08-31_1839.png

2011-08-31_1841.png

patbalmos

Seaman

Check for a vaccume leak you have many small vacume lines around the intake and vst tank. Mine was doing the same thing, I ended up finding it by spraying small ammounts of carb cleaner around the area. The rpms will change when the motor sucks in the carb cleaner and burns it. Just be careful and use some common sense as it is flammable.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree, vacuum leak would be my first guess, although you havn't told us the symptoms at high speed.

esox99

Recruit

9/1/11 - Thanks for all the ideas! I am not a mechanic (not even close), but there are a couple of your ideas I can check myself. To put things in perspective, I have watched the mechanic replace the ISC and I installed the used CDI. I don't know what a YDS is, but I'm guessing it may have something to do with the computers both shops hooked up to my Yamaha???
The mechanic in Canada checked many parts and settings and compared them to a new F115 he had for sale. He had some of the specs written down and gave me a copy when I left to help the solve the mystery; these included intake pressure, timing, voltage (battery and TPS, whatever that is), ISC opening %, fuel injection duration, temperatures, etc. He also said compression was good and he adjusted all of the "butterfly" settings. Below (attached) is my attempt at summarizing his hand-written notes.

He changed out the ISC and the motor ran fine for 2 days, then the low idle increased again and stayed that way; they put my old ISC back on and refunded the cost of that part before I towed the boat home (very fair on their part!). So my most recent test (yesterday) was my old ISC with the used CDI. Could it be that my ISC and CDI were bad??? Thanks for any more ideas.
View attachment 111382

Can't read your attachment...
One thing I noticed on some Yama's was the shift interupt switch, if activated while the engine was running would make the rpm's increase. Not sure if it is applicable to your model or not. Stbd side not the switch in the track of the shift cable attachment but the one that is activated when the whole bracket moves. Kinda hard to explain. I don't think yours has the shift interupt switch.

Last edited: