Yamaha F150 motor oil and lower unit lube

ccm14

Cadet
Hi,
I have a 2006 Yamaha F150 that I am tired of paying high prices to have my oil, lower unit and filters changed each year. So, I want to do it my self. Research on this forum indicates these are not a big problem if you a somewhat mechanically inclined. The question I have is where is the best place to buy the parts. Looks like I need the following:
Engine oil
Lower unit oil
Oil filter
Oil filter wrench
Fuel filter
Crushable washer for the lower unit drain plug

Where is the best place to buy these items?

Do you recommend the use of Yamaha oil, lube and filters?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Charlie

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha F150 motor oil and lower unit lube

I get lots of stuff right here on iboats, but for maintenance stuff, I really like SIM Yamaha: http://www.simyamaha.com/. You can plug in your engine and they have the complete kit. I recommend staying with yamalube for the oil and yamaha filters. They also have the lower unit oil and pump you will need to replace the gear oil. I've been doing my own stuff and it's easy, and lots cheaper.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha F150 motor oil and lower unit lube

I like all Yamaha parts and lubes, although I use the Mercury high performance gear lube. A strap type filter wrench from any auto parts store is easy to use. An important part to have on hand is the o ring that seals the engine mounted fuel filter cup to the housing, and replace it every time you service the filter.

Make sure you have a good 10 micron fuel filter upsteam of the F150.

Do yourself a favor and buy an oil extractor. No mess and you won't have to worry about a stripped oil pan.

http://www.iboats.com/Oil-Extractor...2570958--**********.334962933--view_id.485731

A small gear oil pump is handy as well, here at the iboats store.

Yes, you can do it and good luck.