• all thoughts are welcome

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • any experience with the same issue?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

athens1

Recruit
Checking the compression on both cylinders the results were rather surprising. 30psi in both cylinders. Putting 30w oil in each
cylinder and checking compression again gave the same results, 30 to 31 psi, exactly the same in both cylinders. Bringing piston 1
to TDC and putting compressed air into cylinder via a connectionn hose at 10 psi, air can be heard rushing into the crankcase area
listening via the oil fill hole. Both intake and exhaust valves have been adusted to spec and were right on from the start.

The engine starts on the second pull, never misses a beat. Runs great through out the entire RPM range. I believe the engine may
have been overheated by the previous owner, although according to the manual, the engine will shut down if it gets to warm.

When I bring each cylinder to TDC I try to hear if any air is leaking into the intake port but only hear a slight air flow. The fact that
oil in each cylinder does not raise the compression and the fact that the engine has never used a drop of oil brings me to the
conclusionn that it is a blown head gasket between the two cylinders.

I am basing this on my experience as a professional auto mechanic for 23 years, but I sure could be wrong on this one.
Pulling the head on this engine is no big deal as I have every tool known to mankind. Advice is more than welcome.
alpha1

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 2002 15 HP

I would check to see if your compression gauge is accurate.
I would think 30 oil would sealed rings a little bit
If it was a head gasket then it would be flowing out the other plug hole or the water passages not the crankcase.
maybe parts of the piston are missing

athens1

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 2002 15 HP

I would check to see if your compression gauge is accurate.
I would think 30 oil would sealed rings a little bit
If it was a head gasket then it would be flowing out the other plug hole or the water passages not the crankcase.
maybe parts of the piston are missing

Thanks for the comments. I tried two brand new compression gauges by different manufacturers and got exactly the same results.
It could be a piston issue and I will know when I pull the head. Water pressure on an outboard cooling system is very low, not like
an auto that is presurized. The gasket between the bores is very narrow so it could be blown between the bores and still not leak
water. So we shall see. Thanks again for checking in.

athens1