4 hp Suzuki DT4 will not start or even spudder

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
1987 Suzuki 4hp has 120 psi compression, good spark, will not even spudder with shot starting fluid with carb off or shooting directly in spark plug hole, check flywheel key, looks perfect - any ideas

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4 hp Suzuki DT4 will not start or even spudder

This one really has me - tried a different coil thinking maybe original was weak - still no fire

James R

Commander

PLease do not use starting fluid. You will damage what could be a good Suzuki. Put some 50:1 mix in a spray bottle and open the throttle. Have someone spray the mix into the carb intake as you pull the cord.It takes quite a lot of fuel to prime the crank case before the fuel can get up to the cylinder top. Spraying in the plug hole rarely works.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I always spray a little oil in first for a quick lube - no mater what this thing will not fire, appears to be the cdi even though it has spark could be a timing issue

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Put the carb back on and do like he said with the premix spray bottle.
Too much is just as bad as too little fuel, neither one will allow the spark to fire the cylinder prperly

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Did as you suggested - still no fire, has compression, spark and fuel but no fire

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

How are you testing spark? not sure about the spec for this motor but I like to measure the voltage to the primary of the coil to make sure it meet spec

I have seen plugs go bad and not spark with pressure on them ,
that is why I always checked them in a tester that I could put air pressure on just to be sure.
Even found some new ones that had problems, but that was 30 years ago when I worked as an auto tech

douglasreed

Cadet

The last post was Aug.30, did you get it running?
I'm asking because I have same problem. I Have a DT4lf 1986 and went through same, good spark, gas getting there, compression about 95psi. I sheared off about 5 pins holding the flywheel when it would try and start. I have extra CDI also extra coil Ignition, B, the larger of the two coils but nothing helped. Let me know how it went.