Inaccurate Oil Pressure Gauge for Yamaha 200HP Two Stroke VMAX

Casey_S

Recruit
Engine: Yamaha Vmax Two Stroke 200HP 6 cyl. - 2001 model year w/ 151 hours

I seem to have an intermittent issue with my the oil pressure gauge on the dash cluster. I do not think I have an actual oil pressure problem, but instead a gauge reading issue.

The gauge itself is electrical and deriving a voltage from the engine where there is likely a sensor. I can see a plastic line off the block which is typical of oil pressure gauges in cars, but I was not able to locate a 'sending unit'

The engine appears to be consuming oil at a normal pace & I can see exhaust at start up / normal operation. The engine reservoir on the motor remains full & is drawing oil from the reserve as it should. I've never had any sort of alarm / shutdown. The engine appears to be functioning perfectly in every way except for the PSI level on the oil gauge.

The correct oil pressure reading on the gauge should be around 5-10 psi at idle & 20-25 psi when on plane at higher rpm.
Right now the gauge is reading 0 psi at idle & about 10-15 psi at high rpm (so the gauge is now showing about 10 psi less than it should).

I've also noticed that every once in a great while the gauge will instantly jump to a 'normal level' for a very short instance (1-2 seconds), then go right back to it's 'inaccurate' state. For example, at idle I've seen it jump from 0 psi to the 'normal' 10 psi, but that happens very quickly....just ~1-2 seconds.

This all leads me to believe that I don't have a true oil injection pressure problem, but rather some sort of issue with the gauge not reading "true" pressure present in the engine. I have looked around the engine compartment. I can't see any signs of a problem. Whatever it is, it's difficult for me to diagnose without knowing what to look for / inspect / replace.

Before I cave in and visit a dealer on this matter, does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this ? ...Or better yet, how I can diagnose / fix it on my own?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Inaccurate Oil Pressure Gauge for Yamaha 200HP Two Stroke VMAX

how about buying a new gauge and see if it is the same?? cheaper than a trip to the dealer. assuming it is a separate gauge and not one of those expensive all in 1 gauges.

Casey_S

Recruit

Thanks. As no one else seems to have any ideas, I'll give this a shot. The gauge is a simple stand alone mounted in the dash & easily accessible. I'll call the parts counter & check the price on a replacement.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you may find one on the internet cheaper than a dealer..e-bay has some great deals.

Cavitating

Recruit

Are you talking about a water pressure gauge? I was not aware that two stroke engines had oil pressure gauges.
Am I missing something?

Casey_S

Recruit

Cavitating - your rank is Cadet but you are an Admiral in my eyes. Man do I feel stupid. I searched for replacement gauges on Ebay as SparkieBoat recommended. Turns out it is a water gauge !!
Here is a pic of the "Repair Kit. http://greatlakesskipper.com/images/products/1/16321-2-lg.jpg This kit has Yamaha PN 6Y5-83660-10. I'll do some more searches and try to find the installation manual for it.

At this point it looks like I may need to buy this kit & re-install the related hardware.

As a side note, I had a speedometer reading issue a year or so ago. As it turned out there is a tiny hole on the lower unit that water flows through. I had some mud/dirt clogging the flow hole. When I poked it out with the tip of a paper clip that restored the speedo function immediately. Based on that I'm kind of wondering if there might be some debris in the water pressure line.

Also, it appears from another pic of the same kit I saw that there is a small sensor module / sending unit of sorts that ties to the electrical. That little part might be what translate the water line pressure to the gauge. It would probably be a whole lot easier to switch out the gauge / sending unit as opposed to the line itself. On the other hand, when I looked up under the dash it did not appear that the white plastic water line runs all the way to the gauge. My guess is that the gauge is fine. I have stored this boat indoors since new. I'm leaning toward a bad sending unit or debris in the white pressure line at this point.

Maybe installing the full kit isn't too difficult for a novice?? Will try to find the Installation Manual for the kit Online and go from there.

Thanks everyone for your support. The saga continues. :)

SparkieBoat

Captain

in that case you need to change your water pump impeller and check/clean your t-stats, also do a good motor flush. this could have started after you cranked the motor with no water on the impeller, which will damage your impeller in seconds

Cavitating

Recruit

New to the forum but not new to boating. I am glad that you are on the right path. I had a similar problem with a Yamaha 115, 2 stroke. After I replaced the water pump and the 2 thermostats,
I disconnected the water pressure hose on the engine side and blew compressed air from the gauge side part of the hose.
Small debris blew out and the gauge started working properly.

Casey_S

Recruit

SparkieBoat - I have never started the engine without a water supply. My impeller / t-stats should be okay (jeez, I sure hope so). This motor has just 151 hours on it, run 100% in fresh water, & I have not run it too hard. I see a strong consistent water stream exiting off the housing when the motor is running so I'm pretty sure I don't have a true water pressure issue.

Cavitating - having finally confirmed this is in fact a water pressure gauge (not oil pressure) issue, I searched old threads & found multiple people with the identical problem (all Yamaha)....that is 0 psi at idle & 15 psi on plane. Similar to what you did, it seems the easiest resolution among the other users was to put on the ear muffs+garden hose & with the engine running...pull the gauge, disconnect the plastic feed line, then bleed air / blow out any debris until the water is flowing smoothing thru the line (then reattached to the gauge). One guy said it's fairly typical for air to get into these plastic lines. Air compresses. Water does not. Anyway, if I can get a steady flow out of the line on the gauge end, when I reconnect it, hopefully the problem will be solved. If not, I'll dig deeper.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Water all the way to gauge is not needed and probably not recommended if you live some where it gets below freezing. Air will translate the pressure just as well as water.

Seems that you could measure the pressure where it comes off the motor to see if you have good pressure to start off with,
Just a thought

SparkieBoat

Captain

even though your motor has only 150 hours on it, it is still 10 years old, you should still replace your impeller, Even if the current pressure problem is debris, the impeller can come apart and get pieces stuck in your motor/tube., I do mine every other year, gear oil every year. t-stats every few years..I mean a impeller is about $30 and takes about 1 hour to replace once you get the hang of it.

Casey_S

Recruit

Hi SparkieBoat - Correct. The engine is 10 years old. The user manual of course gives me zero information about replacing the impeller or t-stats. I have consistently change my lower unit oil once per year (that is a snap). This is not my exact model, but assume the procedure shown in these youtube videos would apply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyh-0so5ks (PART 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef_ys3nIkXo&feature=related (PART 2)