89 Suzuki DT 75 oil leak

Skeeter#2

Cadet
89 DT 75 leaking oil down the driveshaft housing both outside and in. Under the hood is clean, no oil found around the pump. Plan to drop the lower unit and look at the seals. Any idea? thanks Skeeter#2

botchley

Recruit
Re: 89 Suzuki DT 75 oil leak

89 DT 75 leaking oil down the driveshaft housing both outside and in. Under the hood is clean, no oil found around the pump. Plan to drop the lower unit and look at the seals. Any idea? thanks Skeeter#2

Did you figure out what the problem was? I am having similar issues with my DT 40, oil leaking out of the exhaust ports, the upper port and through the prop. Maybe a bad seal in the oil injection pump?

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just happened to my '87 DT85 exact same thing as your situation Skeeter. i did notice it was fine then the temp dropped to around 32 degrees one night and the next day i started to notice the little drip, drip from the bottom of the skeg

botchley

Recruit

Blue/black. Smells burnt from passing through the exhaust. It's also wet where the lower unit meets the midsection.

James R

Commander

Quite common. Are you using the Suzuki oiling system. If you are you could be running with a carb or carbs that need servicing and restricting the fuel flow. I other words running on an oil rich mixture. If you are running on 50:1 the carbs could be flooding or incorrectly set causing a Rich mixture. If the plugs are grungy the oil is not burning off. A cold motor, perhaps the thermostat has been removed, will have the oily symptom. A lot of idling will also produce the symptom. There is adjustment in the pump link rod which can be used to set the oil flow. This must be done in accordance with the set up procedure in the manual.
Hope this is helpful.

Skeeter#2

Cadet

Took her to the Zuki man cause to serious to play with. Needed carbs proper cleaned and tuned anyway. May ger her back this friday, will see.

Skeeter#2

Cadet

Zuki man talked me into carb cleaning and oil sensor, reset the oil pump. A day on the water only to find more oil leaking. Went back and after closer inspection he said is the lower seal. He will need to split the case, Ouch again...Was a bit teed to bring it in for oil leak and advised and billed for that and still have the same problem. Well took it home and dropped the lower unit to find spent oil and fuel run down from the lower seal when removed. Asked him if brought in just the power head how much. He thinks he can change it with about four hours labor. says need to pull the flywheel and such. what do you guys think?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

what did he want for doing the complete job?
That old of a motor you may end up breaking a few bolts and have to deal with that.
He will not warranty a job he did not do, so it is up to you

Skeeter#2

Cadet

Was expecting @325 for the carb cleaning by what he told me. He stuck 500 on the bill and overlooked the oil leak. Now says about 600 for the seal replacement. not something we want to do...

James R

Commander

I think 500 is a bit much for carb cleaning. It is not uncommon for the lower seals to fail but it means taking the powerhead apart to get to the seals. There are three down there. A Suzuki used in salt water will mean sheared bolts when taking it apart. May as well replace upper seal at the same time and it could go on from there. Unless the compressions are real good, say 120 up and fairly even, I wouldn't bother.

Skeeter#2

Cadet

agreed! anyway the problem is serious amount of oil was running down the outside driveshaft housing at idle. Major sheen on water. Removed the powerhead this aug and am now at the point of removing the reeds. Just don't know the proper way to get them off without damage to them being stuck on by the gasket. Its been a slow process but now have the time.

Skeeter#2

Cadet

Ok today the reeds are off and all the case bolts came out good. My guess is that the reeds metal plates are the original because each one on the inside corrosion present. Enough that some was found in the intake. Tried to post some pictures but can not find the link to create a photo album. Thinking this corrosion debres may be the cause of the lower seals going out. Any suggestion on how to get this glued case apart the proper way? and would you do a good wd40 spray down to washout the bearings or suggest it go to the powerhead shop and have the bearings and such be checked? Found a Suzuki OEM 1988 dt75/85 supplymentry manuel on ebay today but not sure it is for this model.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i have a used dt 75 if you need parts,bought it as back formy old boat but i sold the boat.

Skeeter#2

Cadet

i have a used dt 75 if you need parts,bought it as back formy old boat but i sold the boat.
Mighty kind of you, thank you. am thinking of going to a machine shop at this point just to let them take a look and see what path to take.

Skeeter#2

Cadet

still working on it. The #1 and #2 have some play in the rod bearings when rocking the crank back and forth. wanted to post a video clip for opinion but still unable to get it posted for views.

Attachments

• PIC_0010.JPG
    PIC_0010.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC_0004.JPG
    PIC_0004.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC_0003.JPG
    PIC_0003.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 0

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i still have motor, i can get you exact part number if interested. I don't know how much help I can be just had back surgery and can't do any lifting until january. being in chicago means cold and snow by then and its(motor) is in my unheated shed.come spring I can disassemble for further inspection.

Skeeter#2

Cadet

Thanks much again, still gathering information. Think it is just wore out at this point. Posted a clip on the utube, check it out and let me know what you guys think. mobile - YouTube

Skeeter#2

Cadet

Ooop's like the flywheel puller bolt went a little too deep. will this be ok or need replacement? can it be repaired?

Attachments

• PIC_0002.JPG
    PIC_0002.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 0

Skeeter#2

Cadet

An update and questions, cause we shade tree garage mechanics do not have the equipment or tech skills for these press rod cranks so decided to take the motor to a rebuild shop due to the clacking when rocking the crank. It may or may not have been necessary. what do you think? utube link posted for opinions. Is that normal? or the rod bearings on the crank in need of replacement as well? Checked by hand they only will move side to side, no play otherwise. Could that have been the rings on the pistons clacking? What is being done in the machine shop is rebore all three cylinders which I thought was unnecessary. New pistons, rings and wrist pin bearings. But not going to change the crank rod bearings. I would have preferred to have those replaced over new pistons and a bore job. But these are the shop tech mechanics who do this stuff. this guy says he will give a two year guarantee but he also said he was going to replace the upper and lower main bearings with the job and now looks like the same will go back in. This is a 1989 and they may still be original? Is this a normal rebuild for these motors or do you think they need to be replaced? Thanks for any reply. :confused:PIC_0002.JPGPIC_0001.JPG