yamaha steering

dwh301966

Cadet
i have a 115 yamaha outboard motor the steering has gotten really stiff i unhooked the steering arm and it is ok the problem is at the motor maybe the pivit arm any help would be great

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: yamaha steering

so, are you saying with the cable disconnected the wheel spins freely? but the motor is still tight? if so, then it is the swivel bracket that has been either never greased, or greased with the wrong grease, and it has gone all hard, sometimes a gentle heat up with a torch will free it up for a while, but the only permanent fix is to pull it to bits and clean all the white corrosion out and grease with proper marine grease, it is not a hard job, but it is a messy, dirty, heavy job to do.

jollymark

Recruit

Chris Macclugage of Macc Racing picked up where he left off in Panama City Beach, FL at Round 1 of the UWP Tour and continued his dominating performance of speed and style at Round 2 in Montgomery, AL ...

robert graham

Admiral

i have a 115 yamaha outboard motor the steering has gotten really stiff i unhooked the steering arm and it is ok the problem is at the motor maybe the pivit arm any help would be great
Have the zerks on the motor pivot ever been greased?

robert graham

Admiral

Tilt the motor up and look down on the right side of the motor pivot area and you may see a small black rubber cap covering a grease fitting called a zerk fitting, remove that cap and with a grease gun, pump grease into fitting until it comes out near the top of pivot area. If zerks have never been greased then the grease in the bearings may have hardened and corrosion may have ruined the bearings. But give it a try. Good Luck!