Suzuki DF40, 4 Stroke Wiring Diagram Needed

metwrench

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Suzuki DF40 4 stroke with NO Starter Engagement or " Click " from selenoid. I Checked main Power at selenoid OK, Pulled Ignition switch and I have NO POWER on any Leads Into back of switch. I checked 2 Fuses on Engine ( 1 above Module ) and other By heads on opp side ( NO POWER )....

Are there any other Fuse area's Im Missing ? EDIT
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Suzuki DF40, 4 Stroke Wiring Diagram Needed

I only have manual for 2000 Johnson 4 stroke, made by Suzuki. It shows 2 fuses, a 15 and 30 amp. Power goes from starter solenoid to the switch. Wire color white. Ground wire is black. If the tilt/trim switch on the engine cowling works, check the harness and connectors from engine to switch.

metwrench

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Clanton, So white wire comes from Batter side of Starter selenoid and feeds Ingition Switch. Now you say Black is ground on switch ? Wonder why they would ground the switch ? I also Have Orange, Gray, Green, and brown ....

So this white wire i will concentrate on , thats the wire that starts the Ignition Process

clanton

Rear Admiral

The switch is not grounded, just a ground wire where needed. 2 strokes used it to kill ignition and stop engine.
The diagram i have is poor and can`t see all of the colors. Meter between black and white should have 12 volts.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

If the power trim switch on the engine works and you have no + power at the white wire going into the ignition switch, then you have a broken connection between the switch and the engine harness. If the power trim switch on the engine does not work, then most likely the 30 amp fuse is blown, most likely from hooking the battery up backwards. Or you may just not have the ground cable attached. The 15 amp fuse on your engine ('99 or '00) is for the fuel pump only - has nothing to do with starting.

If all else fails bring it to J & W Marine right there in Salem.

tja425

Recruit

If the power trim switch on the engine works and you have no + power at the white wire going into the ignition switch, then you have a broken connection between the switch and the engine harness. If the power trim switch on the engine does not work, then most likely the 30 amp fuse is blown, most likely from hooking the battery up backwards. Or you may just not have the ground cable attached. The 15 amp fuse on your engine ('99 or '00) is for the fuel pump only - has nothing to do with starting.

If all else fails bring it to J & W Marine right there in Salem.

I am having the same problem. I have a Df 40
My engine is a 2004 model I am getting power to the engine
I tested my key switch and also my netural saftey switch all works but the brown wire coming off my netural switch loses power to my starter wire so i jumped it and ran a new wire. Now my engine turns over but i am not getting fire to my plugs any idea what can be causing this problem?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tja425: Hijacking is very rude. This thread belongs to Metwrench, not you.

Start your own thread. Thanks for your future cooperation. :)

Metwrench. I know it is annoying and you hear it all the time, but working on any outboard, much less a computer controlled EFI outboard, without a Service Manual is a fool's errand.

Using someone else's manual by way of iboats can get you through one or two troubles, but in the long run spending less than 1 hour labor cost on a Manual will be the best investment you ever made.

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure the neutral safety didn't come off on the motor end

fastal

Cadet

I have a Suzuki DF40 4 stroke with NO Starter Engagement or " Click " from selenoid. I Checked main Power at selenoid OK, Pulled Ignition switch and I have NO POWER on any Leads Into back of switch. I checked 2 Fuses on Engine ( 1 above Module ) and other By heads on opp side ( NO POWER )....

Are there any other Fuse area's Im Missing ? EDIT
Thanks

Sorry I came in late with this. Hope it helps in the future.

Attachments

• Suzuki DF50.jpg
    Suzuki DF50.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 29