01 suzuki df115 runnig rough high rpms

thjh1127

Recruit
Recently I have noticed my outboard running a little rough and kind of surging right around 5000 rpms. I have not done anything different or changing anything, this just appeared one day...could it be bad gas or maybe a faulty plug? only seems to be noticeable right around 5k rpm's...idles fine, doesnt stall either. Please help me out, motor has 300 hrs, regularly serviced as well..

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 01 suzuki df115 runnig rough high rpms

There are no crystal balls around here so you will have to start testing things to see where the problem is.
Fuel pressures and vacuum would be where I would start
a timing light will make sure timing is steady and will show spark on all plug wires if you move it around to see if you are loosing spark to a cylinder.
A manual with the proper test equipment will allow you to test the individual ignition parts for proper voltage and ohms. If that is all good then most problems are fuel related

thjh1127

Recruit

I am leaning more toward something else...I figure if it were fuel related, then it would be idleing rough as well. The boat has a new fuel fuel pump, filters, water sep, etc..less than two months old. The problem is pretty much right at 5k rpms + or - 200 rpm. Maybe a prop/lower unit issue?

clanton

Rear Admiral

You said 300 hours on engine. Sparkplugs ever been changed? They were due for a change at 200 hours.

macksk8er

Seaman Apprentice

Had similar issues with mine. Changed plugs and problem solved.

capt_ripple

Recruit

Recently I have noticed my outboard running a little rough and kind of surging right around 5000 rpms. I have not done anything different or changing anything, this just appeared one day...could it be bad gas or maybe a faulty plug? only seems to be noticeable right around 5k rpm's...idles fine, doesnt stall either. Please help me out, motor has 300 hrs, regularly serviced as well..

I have a pair of 01 DF115's and had this as one of the problems for a couple of years, questioned everything from cam positioning sensor to high/low fuel filters, etc. Problem starts when running just over 5000 rpm and is cyclic in nature from around 4900 to 5300 rpm.... I finally changed out my main fuel line and as of two trial runs not having any issues.

However, I am pissed at Suzuki for the substandard parts and designs I have found to have issues with in this motor which include:
1) Non stainless bolts in exhaust/water manifold causing degredation of the aluminum used in manifold and bold to rot out.... these are saltwater motors.
2) Very cheaply made computer enclosures, they have came apart when pretty much new and NEVER been able to be repaired to maintain a safe waterproof area for your brain.
3) The top low pressure storage side of tilt trim motors are made of ABS with a very cheap wiper seal, a known defect that they corrected on future models but do not sell seals for and have a metal replacement you must buy for near $200 a pop, on a known defective part.
4) Many of the bolts they used that tap into any part of the cooling or exhaust system are some galvanized crap, not stainless, same as above, the disimilarities of metals cause a problem with electrolosis and compromise the motor.....