87 yamaha 175 buzzer comes on and goes into limp mode?

Hello,my 87 yamaha 175 starts great runs great for about 5 minutes then the buzzer comes on and wont let it rev up? It has 2 lights in the tach that the one that is for low oil lights up also.but both tanks have oil.I have taken the oil sensors out of the tanks and and are free from sticking.one time i started it up and the top cap with sensor in it poped out and was pushing oil out all over the engine,so i pulled out the big tank and pulled the wire that makes the oil fill pump run.The man i bought it from told me it did the same thing for him.I bought it with this problem thinking it was an easy fix.Is thier a way to dissconnect what ever is putting into limp mode?Or any ideas what may cause this problem?Thanks

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 87 yamaha 175 buzzer comes on and goes into limp mode?

Free from sticking doesn't insure that the tank sensors are operating properly.

Re: 87 yamaha 175 buzzer comes on and goes into limp mode?

I will take them out and have them tested.This thing runs great for 5 min.then buzzer and limp mode.Let it set for 30 min. and it will run great for another4 to 5 min. and then same thing.I also noticed the water coming out of the pisser never gets warm so i took out the thermostats and the stats were crusted with salt build up so i cleaned up the housing and replaced the stats and it still dont get warm but then maybe it dont run right long enough for it to get warm.Thanks