Suzuki DF175 Trim/Tilt Problem

jboy13

Recruit
Hello this is my first time on this site. I have a customer with a DF175 Suzuki. Last season the customer damaged the trim pistons enough to actually bend the pistons. I attempted to replace the trim pistons and caps only to find that after doing so when you trim the motor down the it dumps the fluid out of the resevior cap. I have since just about replaced all the parts on the unit with no success. I have the service manual and have gone through the procedure by the book with no change. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am at the point that I am going to tell the customer to purchase a whole trim unit.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Suzuki DF175 Trim/Tilt Problem

Am not familiar with SUZUKI but just had to get up close and personal with my F115 YAMAHA unit. They all work the same and might be made by the same company for all manufactures with a slight difference. How much fluid is the unit dumping? The resevior should be a sealed unit, not vented with enough space to allow for expansion of a small quantity of fluid. The fill plug on my YAMAHA had an O ring, is a sealed system. Extending and retracting should make very little difference in the amount of fluid in the system as you are just moving fluid from one side to the other. Please keep us posted FRED

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki DF175 Trim/Tilt Problem

There is no o-ring. If you have fluid coming out the cap, than the cap is broken. There is some pressure in the reservoir when trimmed down.