30hp yamaha overheat issues???!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

srowland76

Cadet
I have a 1985 yamaha 30 hp, overheat alarm going off when I run full throttle for a few minutes, I have changed the water pump and it seems to be pissing pretty strong. I put the thermostat in a pot of hot water and it opened up at around 160 degrees. I did notice that when i turn the key on the buzzer doesnt make a sound and i have read that the buzzer should make a noise for a few seconds when turnuing the key on, is this true for all motors? Just trying to narrow down the issue that keeps setting the overheat alarm off. HELP ME!!!!!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 30hp yamaha overheat issues???!!!!

Smallest thing I have worked on is a 50. If yours is like the larger motors, your pump housing has a stainless steel liner installed. Is concentric and there is a good chance it became unindexed when you worked the impeller in. They will spin enough to partially block the pump outlet. FRED

hawkman-1

Cadet

I have a 75 hp and no alarm with the key.

I have seen that the water passages get clogged over time and the head needs to be removed to check/clean, don?t know if this is your problem but if all else fails check it out.

Also I have heard that on some if the batt connection is loose or corroded it can cause an alarm.

srowland76

Cadet

you wouldnt happen to know at about what temp the alarm should be sounding would you?

newgie

Recruit
I am having an overheating issue , also . My 40 hp Yamaha precision blend outboard overheats at various times. Replaced H2O pump impeller, seals,gaskets (head gasket) and spark plugs . Being a female, my friend has said he quits. Any ideas? Would like to boat this summer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Anyone caught how old this hijacked thread is?

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.