Yamaha 225 Excel Water pump / impella replacement issues

MaineFishin

Seaman Apprentice
Folks,

1989 Excel. Here I go again; I removed the lower unit and have all the snapped bolts out. I decided to start the impella replacement, I removed the four bolts fastening the housing and removed the housing. Removed the metal dome and the impella is sitting there. On top of the impella is a small cap with a gasket and several washers, this piece did not want to budge. I pryed under the impella and was able to have it move up the shaft but the gasket under the cap disentegrated. WHAT IS this piece, it did not come with the impella kit.

On the bottom under the keyway is a metal plate, under this plate is a gasket that is in my kit but I am unable to get the metal plate past the keyway, any ideas.

Thanks for your advice, I expect it will take a minute or two for you to stop your laughter, I am shaking my head at myself! :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 225 Excel Water pump / impella replacement issues

You need to remove the key from the keyway.

Look at a parts blow up of your motor to identify the parts needed. I believe you are speaking of a plastic retainer and spring washers that preload the shaft to keep it from bouncing and making noise. Also the metal cover over the plastic can be cut off or removed but may tear it up in doing so along with the plastic part. maybe easier to just cut off with sharp chisel. Never did it myself but have read about it on the forums I think

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

The key is a tight fit. Take a small punch and drive it down from the top, it will roll out and down.

One more tip before you proceed. Get some windshield adhesive and lightly coat the groove in the housing and install the gasket. By the time you're ready for the housing the gasket will be firmly in place as you apply pressure on the housing while twisting the drive shaft to fit the impeller back in place.

robert graham

Admiral

That key is shaped like a half-moon, so if you tap on one end of it with a hammer it can create a "rocking" action of the key and it'll pop out fairly easily. I believe all the problems with corrosion stuck/broken bolts and parts is a key reason these pumps should be serviced on a regular basis, especially if it's a saltwater motor. I did my water pump several months back without any real problems, but I wire brushed/cleaned all the bolts, splines, keyway, etc., and added a good coat of that Quicksilver 2-4-C Waterproof Grease to everything so they won't get stuck in the future. Good Luck!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The plastic piece is called a SPACER, the metal piece is called a COLLAR. They do not come with the kit but should. Parts man will know what you are talking about. FRED

MaineFishin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the direction, I was able to find the Spacer and Collar today. They didn't have lower unit bolts??? I will find the bolts tomorrow since I requested the day off from work. I will tap the keyway out tonight and see if I can make additional progress.

I read where waterproof grease should be used, how about never-seize, I usually dont want to get that stuff on my fingers it seems pretty resilient.

What is the thread pattern on the lower unit bolt 1.? I thought I should run a tap through the threads to clean them prior to reassembling and being back in this position again.

I ordered a new shift shaft from the "shiftshaft" so I can replace it without removing the powerhead. Has anyone had any experiences with this procuct?

I haven't been on the water in 3 years, my 31' Unitflite is a lawn ornament. I am getting anxious.

Thanks again

robert graham

Admiral

I believe the Quicksilver 2-4-C waterproof Grease may be your best bet for bolts, splines, re-assembly, to keep water out. Tap through the threads sounds like a good idea to me, especially if you may have some old metal or corrosion deposits in them. I wire brush all my bolts until they're shiny and put that good grease on them. You can file the sides of your new key if necessary, so it's just good and tight but not so you have to hammer it in it's keyway. Grease on new key and keyway, some grease on new impellar blades, so it'll start up nice and smooth! You're gettin' there! Good Luck!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

do not use never seize that contains any copper on aluminum

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

That key is shaped like a half-moon, so if you tap on one end of it with a hammer it can create a "rocking" action of the key and it'll pop out fairly easily. I believe all the problems with corrosion stuck/broken bolts and parts is a key reason these pumps should be serviced on a regular basis, especially if it's a saltwater motor. I did my water pump several months back without any real problems, but I wire brushed/cleaned all the bolts, splines, keyway, etc., and added a good coat of that Quicksilver 2-4-C Waterproof Grease to everything so they won't get stuck in the future. Good Luck!

You make a good point in periodic maintenance, especially salt water environment.
I made the mistake of using a grey colored anti-seize on a prop shaft. Had to burn the prop off.
Grease is what I use now. Some greases are better than others, but I don't know of any grease that will dissolve in water.

2-4-c is an excellent grease, so is OMC's triple guard grease. I've used both, but now I just use the same grease I use for wheel bearings. If it holds up to the heat and pressure of wheel bearings, it will do the job in a stationary application, meaning no moving parts.

I also clean carbs in pure amonia

MaineFishin

Seaman Apprentice

Folks,

I have the waterpump reassembled but could not get the housing down far enough to engage the bolts, I had everything on in order staring with the impella then the "anti chatter washers" along with the spacer and collar. I am saying I turned the shaft to seat the impella in the housing, pushed down and did not have enough umph to get the bolt to engage a thread. Next I wrapped a rachet stap around it and had it as tight as it would go but it will not seat. It is not making alot of sense to me though the previous had the spacer disintgrated. Any thoughts?

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a pipe wrench over a rag to twist the drive shaft and fully seat the impellor. Keep twisting the drive shaft until the housing is seated
I also put a light coating of grease in the housing and on the base plate.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Be certain that the stainless steel cup does not become un indexed as you work to get the impeller in. It will rotate enough in the pump housing to partially block off the outlet causing an overheat at higher RPMs. FRED

MaineFishin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for tips, I found that I was trying to put the spacer and collar inside the cup (not on top where it belonged) which resulted .25" added height that had me baffeled. I wanted to take pictures as I dissassembled but could not locate the charger for the camera, as with most things I found the camera charger after the job was done.
A kind individual pointed me to location with a step by step dissassembly including pictures. As I assembled the unit I could feel the cup engage, I am hopeful.
Just waitng for the lower-unit bolts to arrive (seven bolts and washers $75) and the new shiftshaft to arrive. In the water by Sunday!

MaineFishin

Seaman Apprentice

I have reassembled the unit with a new impella and new shift shaft, the old shaft flexed severly at the deteriorated location. As I installed the new shaft (old shaft had some twist) I do notice a little clicking in neutral as I spin the prop by hand. I manipulate the shift linkage and I am able to make this condition go away. Any hints on how to fine tune the engaging aspect of the linkage?

Thanks