2002 Yamaha 225 hp OX66 stalling out

douge

Recruit
Two trips ago my OX66 started stalling when I plowed into a wave, very sporadic at first and now about every wave it doing it. I can be going 4000 rpm and hit the front or back of a wave and the engine stalls. Sometime stalls completly, thinking it was a fuel problem I replaced the fuel filters and lower unit oil, Please help!!
Thanks Doug

TomS

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2002 Yamaha 225 hp OX66 stalling out

Classic sign of a clogged VST filter.

Jdvoost

Recruit

Hey Douge... I had this happen to my boat last night.. I was trying to find out was is wrong with it so I was looking at this site... PLEASE tell me you got yours fixed and it was cheap?? I hit a wave on the way out fishing and it has not been running right since.. Now won't run at all..
What was it??

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now what would shock of wave have to do with fuel....clogged filter would be all the time not when hitting waves.....lol....ok, so check not only the
batt. connections but also the grounds on engine...would help to know if in saltwater or not....it's probably electrical if due to hitting waves...lol

Jdvoost

Recruit

Mine is fresh water.... What could i check if you think it is electrical??

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Again, check the batt connections and the grounds on engine. Something is probably loose and getting looser, so when you hit waves it jiggles and the
connection is 'lost' temporarily....make sure your batts. can't move even if you push/pull on them....pretty sure your problem is a loose connection or
wire in bad shape. You could even have a loose wire on ignition(run side).