possible fuel problem 2006 yamaha 150 vmax 2 stroke

mearguy71

Cadet
Hello everyone and great to find so much information here. I just bought my first boat a few weeks ago, took it out several times and ran smooth. Being the newbie idiot I am I added a 5 gallon container of fuel to my boat that was sitting in my garage for about 6-8 months. The fuel can was brand new and the fuel was the 10% ethanol kind. I didnt think it was old enough fuel to hurt it. It ran fine in my riding mower but the next day when I took my boat out it started sounding rough. I took it out again a week later and it got worse as well as acting like it wants to bog down however I can idle it and start it ok. it sounds rough at idle but gets horrible with more throttle. So to trouble shoot I went and got a can of fresh fuel with no ethanol and dropped the fuel line in the can and fired it up however I have never heard the boat when its not sitting in water so I cant determine if it sounds right. I took a video with audio and posted it on youtube. If someone experienced can be kind enough to tell me if it sounds ok Id appreciate it. http://youtu.be/WYzm2bswI9c oh and it is a 2006 skeeter with a 2006 yamaha 150 vmax 2 stroke.

mearguy71

Cadet
Re: possible fuel problem 2006 yamaha 150 vmax 2 stroke

Well I guess I will just drain it, replace the fuel water seperator filter and go from there.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds perfect to me. Good that you replace the water sep. Add some Seafoam every tank.

mearguy71

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I didnt realize how much different the engine would sound out of the water. I just drained the tank and now I have to wait for the fuel water seperator to come in through the mail. Should be tomorrow or thursday. I will fill it up at the fuel station that claims to have no ethanol or alcohol in their fuel and take it to the lake and run it.

Any news on if it helped with just the fuel filter change?

mearguy71

Cadet

No it did not help to replace the fuel and the filter. I took it to the shop and waiting for a response.

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry about that, but adding ethanol cut a load of crap loose in the tank, should be a simple carb cleaning, i did the same thing, and it took a cleaning to get it right, good luck, keep it posted