2002 suzuki df140 engine mount/ shift linkage issues

jonnysteals

Seaman
MY engine mount on my 2002 suzuki df140 corroded a hole in the exahsut port. I am replacing this myself in my garage. I pulled the powerhead and removed the engine mount. MY issue is with the engine mount shift linkages. I ahve attached images so you can see my issues.

On my original engine mount I had one bearing which housed the engine shaft which powered the propeller. The shift linkage bolted in from the bottom. See pictures mount1 and mount2.

The new engine mount they sent me has tp bearings. One for the propeller and one for the shift linkage. They eliminated the screw part from the bottom and it looks like its now sealed with o-ring or someting like that. See picture mount4.

My boat is the palm beach picture I also attached.

My question is did suzuki redesign the shift linkage after my 2002 model year to entend the gear selection(foward,neutral, and reverse) threw a bearing into the motor mount? How can I upgrade my older motor to use this system? If they didn't upgrade would it be possible that they sent me the wrond engine mount.

Here is the mount I ordered
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Suzuki/Outboard/2002/DF140/ENGINE HOLDER/parts.html

Heres the one I received:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/S...ER (DF140T:682149-,DF140Z:680234-)/parts.html

The only difference is that the one with two bearing has a t in the model number. I beleive that is the counter rotationg one. Should I have them ship me one that can bolt to the bottom like I had or upgrade my shifting parts? All help is appreciated

Attachments

• mount4.jpg
    mount4.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 0
  • palmbeach.jpg
    palmbeach.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0
  • mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 0

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2002 suzuki df140 engine mount/ shift linkage issues

What did the dealer that you ordered the kit from say? If you provided the correct serial number, then you should have received a kit with the late style engine holder along with the updated shift shaft components. Or did you try to save money be getting it mail -order?

jonnysteals

Seaman

why did they upgrade it. I bought it from boats.net to save money but provided my serial. I did not know they upgraded the shifting or I would have ordered that as well. Do I have to drop my lower unit to change out the shift rod or can I do it all from the top since I removed the power head. Any ideal of what shift-shaft components changed?

jonnysteals

Seaman

Can Anyone help me. Can anyone tell me what parts of the shift linkage changed. The dealer I bought from is not knowledgeable. Hopefully someone has the partnumbers I need to upgrade my shift linkage. Have motor torn apart and no way to put it back together at the moment. PLEASE HELP

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

I suggest you return the engine holder to wherever you got it from and go to your local REAL Suzuki dealer and have them order the correct engine holder kit for your engine - it will have all the parts you need.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

If you ordered the part with the "t" you ordered the wrong "engine holder' as I am reading it. The "eh" with the "t" designation includes the bearings as is clearly explained in the description.

The "t" does not indicate a counter rotating unit. Suzuki uses a different gearing in the lower unit to change it to a counter rotating model.

If they will take it back, you need to exchange it for the correct part. It's your responsibility to order the correct part when ordering on-line.

Also, I order from Brown's Point Marine, they are Suzuki Dealers and know their product and can/will answer questions.

Good luck, and hope they will make the exchange.

jonnysteals

Seaman

I didn't order the wrong part. Suzuki updated the shift linkage in 2006 as well as the engine mount. I ordered my parts from boats.net after the technical advisor gave me the part number. He did not tell em the shift linkage was updated and I provided my serial number. I downloaded the service manual and it was pretty easy to figure out what part I needed(pg 517 of the manual). See this diagram
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/S...FT (DF140T:682149-,DF140Z:680234-)/parts.html

For future reference when updating the engine holder on a pre 2006 suzuki you need the updated engine holder for a 2006. you also need the followign to update your shift linkage:
21210-92J00 SHAFT, CLUTCH
09248-12005 PLUG
These are the two parts I need to upgrade my shift linkage to use the 06 engine holder. Thats it the rest of the linkages is the compatible.

I did order these parts from a local dealership because they can get the parts quicker than myself. Just as a referecnce the oilpan to engine mount seal and the engine mount to power head seal are non-reusable. They are a crushable metal seal so order new ones. The valve-cover gasket is reusable though. That is it and I verieifed with the suzuki mechanic. Turns out I do not have to return my engine mount to my fake suzuki dealership.

By the way after this fiasco I would never purchase another part from boats.net. They treat you terrible and use unprofesional slang words and texting abbreviations in their email coorespondance. They hung up on my 4 times and it was a bad experience. They also never sent me a tracking number and lied to me about the parts being in stock. This delay cost me two weeks.