Suzuki DT85 stalls when in gear

cvdoc2001

Recruit
My 1994 DT85 cranks right up, but stalls when put in gear at low RPM...cranks right up but does it again....however if I start it put it in gear and give it some throttle, she will run without stalling.....Can someone lead me in the right direction on where to start the troubleshooting.....

Sig

kevinclark93

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Suzuki DT85 stalls when in gear

I am having the same issue. Did you find a fix, I am betting carbs.

Bill0516

Recruit

I have a DT85 also,same thing. I`ve check timing,adjusted carbs,new plugs, check fuel lines. Still no luck.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

had issues with my dt 75 found crap and gelled gas in carb bowls. start at the top that where i found most of the debris. they aren;t hard to remove. you don't need parts just clean them out, my need thin wire and carb clean to clean some of the jets

strawberry

Cadet

I have freshly rebuilt carbs on my DT65 and it is doing the same thing. I have to do a sort of power shift to get it going without stalling. I have no clue how to adjust the throttle other than the idle knob that is already set to fast . Nothing changes if I change it to slow, med, or fast. I to would like to know how to fix it. I just want ed to show that it is not neccessarilt dirty carbs.

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dealing with the same with mine! Rebuilt the carbs (new every thing in side them) new fuel tank, new fuel line to a new fuel water seperator, new line to the fuel filter, rebuilt the fuel pump new lines there too, new batt, new spark plugs and still start shift and it dies, rev it up in nutral then drop it in gear fast and it dies on the 4-5 time if my batt hasn't been drained i can get it going but it takes such a tole on the batt i need seatow to get back. the only thing i found that does help is new plugs. but after 2 trips it's back to stalling again. gets expensive to replace all plugs every 3rd trip. they look clean though! i'm figuring it has some thing to do with the fuel/oil mixture at the low RPM once you get going it runs great! well as long as i keep it around 23mph. it will do almost 40mph but if over 23mph she will run about 3/4 mile then sound like she is bogging down (dropping a cylinder or some thing) put it back in nutral for a few seconds and she will take off like a rocket again well for at least a nother 1/2 mile or so......

strawberry

Cadet

I finally loosened the linkage where it meets the vertical linkage for the carborators from the large selenoid looking thing mounted on the side of the engine. I turned it out three turns and now it will idle a bit faster but not to much to cause a shifting problem. I still have to let it warm up a bit but even though it sounds like it is starving for fuel it will now back out of the slip.
Excuse for my nomenclature problem but I really don't know what that selenoid is. I think it is the choke.
Anyway that seemed to be a band aid fix to my problem. You might give it a try.

kevinclark93

Seaman Apprentice

I also have an 86 DT85 with the same issue. It will stall when first put into gear.

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, this seems like a simple problem to figure out the answer to, but for some reason the "trained" mechanics can?t come up with a solution. every time I ask a shop I get a response like: well it could be dirty carbs, or something wrong in your shifter, or compression, or water pump, plugs, fuel pump.......they list every component in the engine and then say you will have to bring it in for us to look at it, our shop rate is $195.00hr with a 2hr min. LIKE HELL, I don?t know about you but I am on a very tight budget and $195x2 without a guarantee that it will be fixed isn't happening, this is so frustrating! I did a lot of research and looking over my engine and I think I found/fixed the problem. On the right side of the engine just below the flywheel there is a fixed metal piece that doesn't move and the linkage comes up vertical to that point. Sorry I don't know the name of the part! Follow the linkage up vertical to this point and you will see that that part can pivot and has a bolt going through it that will touch that fixed metal piece (stopper). I noticed that there was a space between the bolt head on the linkage side where the bolt head wasn't touching anything and on the other end of the bolt the nut wasn't touching anything as well. You screw the bolt in or out to make adjustments and when you get it where you want it the nut is tightened down to hold it firmly in place. The way mine was there was about a cm of play that the bolt could vibrate in and out changing the adjustment on the motor. No wonder why it wouldn't idle right! I had the ears hooked up and the motor on and pushed that linkage forward a little and you could hear a difference in RPM. I then filled up a tub of water and lowered the lower unit in it to run as it would in the water with a little backpressure and made the adjustment and tightened the nut down real tight. This made all the difference in the world! The engine runs a lot smoother without twitching and vibrating all over; it sounds strong, and runs great at idle. I put it in gear for a few seconds and there was no CLUNK noise, it shifted smoothly and best of all IT DIDN'T DIE WHEN I SHIFTED BACK TO NEUTRAL!!!!! 1987 85DT runs like a new engine now. Hope this helps with what sounds like the same problem, I know we have all been chasing this ghost for a while

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

none of you mentioned what your idle speeds were.If they're under 600 rpm at idle in nuetral it will died going into gear. needs to be 750 give or take 50 rpm. and kicking idle up with fast idle lever and slaming into gear isn't good for lower unit clutch dog and gears.sounds like you found your idle speed adjustment. and I hope this fixes others troubles as well.I highly recomend factory suzuki manual, it thaught me quite a bit about these motors, and I'm an ASE master auto tech for last 25 years.I do agree alot of marine techs aren't that good.