Suzuki DT140 fuel problems

wickerdave

Recruit
OK, here's where I'm at. I replaced the fuel/water seperator unit and filter, I replaced the bulb and hose, I checked the fuel filter in the engine, it was perfectly clean. I blew the lines back to the tank. I even did a compression check on the cylinders, 125 Lbs. on all four cylinders, (230 hours on the 1998 motor) Took it to the river and backed it down the ramp so bottom end submerged. It started on first turn of the key. idled fine. Put in forward gear, ran up to 2000 rpm fine, ran to 3000 rpm and thought I had fixed problem, then it stated to starve out, ball had collapsed. I pumped ball but couldn't get over 2500 and was starving out again. I pumped ball as fast as I could and got it to 3000 rpm but ball would not stay hard. It looks like the fuel pump. It has an electric pump as well. I don't know if I should remove all the screws from the front of the manual pump and check it out, or what to do. Can't really afford the $100/hr labor fee pluse the $120 or so for the pump.(went back to school full time for welding) What do you guys think. It just seems like the motor is in too good condition for the fuel pump to go out? Should I take apart the fuel pump?

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki DT140 fuel problems

If the bulb collapsed, the fuel line back to the tank is obstructed. Maybe a problem with the anti-siphon valve?

-E

nelbur

Recruit

Is your electric fuel pump on the engine side of the bulb or the fuel tank side? If it is on the tank side of the bulb, do you have a filter before the electric pump to keep junk out of it? Most have a screen that can be plugged with trash. Is this electric fuel pump one installed by Suzuki to stop vapor lock? If so could you please read the Brand and model # off it and tell us what pump they are using.

I agree that you have a plugged up fuel line on the tank side of the bulb. The collapsed bulb says that the pump(s) on the engine is pumping well enough to suck the bulb collapsed.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have had simalar problems with my boat, had a loose clamp on fuel line. pumping bulb would keep it running. bulb woun't get/or stay hard. firm but not hard. try enriching mixture, carb clean/propane if this picks up idle or increases power its a fuel problem